Chapter 7

I m sooo sorry for the late update! well, here it is! i hope you'll enjoy it! it hasnt been edited so please point out any typo errors :)

Guys!!! i need comments and feedbacks!!! let me know what you think of this chapter, of this story in general so far!! the lack of feedback is making me uneasy... i hate guessing people's thoughts!!! just a simple comment would help!!

This chapter is dedicated to IceDuchess! she is an amzing editor who took the time and effort to edit all my previous chapters! cheers to IceDuchess! she's also friendly and nice :) thanks again :)

_______________________________________________________________________

Catherine eyed the long white linen with obvious distaste. Closing her eyes, she grabbed the hateful piece of cloth and began to wrap it around her breasts. Once she felt the familiar discomfort and protest of her ribs, she tied the end of the cloth deftly into a solid knot and tucked it under the layers of cloth. She took a deep breath to test the binding.

Slipping a tight chemise over her flatten chest, she walked towards her wardrobe in search of a suitable set of training clothes. She decided on a pair of rough black trousers and a loose white shirt with buttoned cuffs, a laced-up front and billowed sleeves. The loose shirt functioned to hide her small waist and feminine curves. She tightened the laces of her worn leather boots and proceeded with her hair. Pulling her hair back, Catherine twisted it into a tight knot and secured it with pins.

"Catherine? May I enter?" her mother's voice requested from the other side of the heavy double doors.

"Come in," replied Catherine. 

"Screening the new recruits for the elite army with Chris," the queen stated matter-of-factly as she took in her daughter's appearance.

Even though Catherine was dressed in a simple men's attire, her face held the beauty and authority of a princess. The queen sat on the large bed and patted an empty spot beside her, beckoning her daughter to take a seat.

Mother and daughter were nothing alike. Catherine had inherited her father's brown hair and butterscotch eyes; while Calla's blonde hair and blue eyes matched the queen's. With his blonde hair and light brown eyes, Cade was a mixture of both his parents.

"Many fine young men have asked me for permission to court you. Yet, I hear you turn them down even before getting to know them," began the queen.

Catherine sighed, disliking the direction the conversation was heading. It was only a matter of time before her mother brought up the tabooed word. Closing her eyes, Catherine tried desperately to stay unruffled by her mother's words.

"It's about time you marry, Catherine. Your sister is betrothed," continued the queen. "Do you want to be an old spinster? How will you find a husband if you – "

"Snotty princes and condescending noblemen are not my cup of tea. I want nothing to do with them, much less marry them," Catherine spat defensively as she thought about the many suitors she had.

Their arrogant stride, haughty behaviour and lack of concern toward the lower-class people were repugnant and she did not want a man like that as her husband and the future king of her people. Catherine believed in love. She wanted to fall in love with the man of her dreams.

"Well, what type of men do you prefer?" the queen asked carefully, fully aware that it was a sensitive topic with her daughter.

"I want someone who will love me for who I am and not because of my beauty or my position. Can you find me a man like that?" she challenged as she narrowed her eyes.