CHAPTER 1 - Rosies cafe

ROSIE POV-

June 18th. It's been exactly 6 months since I moved here from Australia but it feels like so much longer. London is so different compared to Sydney but both are cities filled with people always moving and sky rise cities that light up beautifully at night.

I came here straight after high school wanting something different and something away from family. My mum is from London so I have a british passport and am able to work and live here which is the main reason I came.

I've only made a few friends but I'm I've never been one to have heaps. When I first moved I only had enough money saved to pay for two months rent and needed to find work straight away, which is how I met Olivia.

Olivia owns a cafe down the road from my apartment which she had previously shared ownership with her ex husband Adam. When he left her and the business she thought of shutting it down, one of the reasons being the name of the cafe was 'Adams cafe'.

I went in only a few months after he left and asked for a job and when hearing my name she immediately wanted to change it to 'Rosie's cafe'. Sounds weird how it happened and I still don't fully understand it as I've never really liked my name, but she said it was her grandmas name and felt like the best way to start new was with a new name.
So basically I've only been working there a bit over 5 months and somehow the cafe is named after me and everyone that comes in assumes it's mine but I have to explain that no, it's not mine but yes, I was the inspiration.

Eventually I just told people Olivia was my mum so they wouldn't question it and I almost feel like she is. She's young for a Mum but old enough to treat me like her kid which makes me feel a big more comfortable in a place I know nothing about.

"ROSIE!!"
Olivia screams at me from the kitchen and I Jolt up realising I was lost in a trance when they're we're people waiting to be served.

"Sorry sorry fuck sorry".

I look up and serve the customer who asked for a coffee which I quickly make.
I give him the coffee and in replacement to a thank you he sternly states that "Language like that will not impress a gentlemen." I smile at his disgusting remark and go to snap back but he quickly continues, scanning my outfit,
"and neither will that slutty top".

And with that he walks out.

The fuck.
My top isn't slutty for one, it's low cut I guess but what does he think I should be wearing, a fucking oversized jumper in the middle of fucking summer?! I want to yell at him that it's pretty hard to cover my massive tits without it seeming to look slutty but I hold my tongue.

And then I look up and realise that there's a fucking massive line and I'm here swearing to myself about a guy that already left.

"Hi lovely can I please have a salmon sandwich ?"
"Yes you can just give me a minut..' I look up to a handsome blonde who is looking at me right in the eye with a glued on smile that makes me want to vomit but he is getting away with it seeing as he is fucking incredibly good looking.
"Jus..just a minute sir, sorry".
I hand him the sandwich and tell him the price, and with the money he slips me something else.
A note with a name and number on it.
And with that, he leaves.
Right.

Jesus I'm seriously trying to behave myself and stray away from beautiful boys like him but like, that's like telling someone who's trying to stop smoking to not inhale the smoke that you're blowing right into they're mouth. It's like, not fucking achievable.

I finish my shift at 4 and leave a note to Olivia who's in the back that I have to rush home and can't say goodbye, as she loves the full hug kiss and prayer that I get home safe. She's amazing but god she can be a bit overly motherly and when I've finished a long day I tend to avoid the encounter but leave her a note so she doesn't get worried.

My apartment is small but perfect for me living alone in some place so big and unknown. My little kitchen is my favourite part of the tiny place, it's small but let's me make a fuck ton of food which is all I do when I have days off.
When I work I eat what's in the cafe but I much prefer home made food since that's all I've eaten the past 18 years.

I finish making myself vege lasagne and go to sit and eat then seeing the piece of paper with the number of the cute boy that I forgot I left on the table earlier.
Jesus I put that there so I didn't have it in my bag and call him which I now see is stupid as the table is still very accessible.
Rosie just eat your food. Don't think about it.

I can't stop bloody looking at it.

This may seem stupid, if I find him pretty and he is interested in me why wouldn't I call, let me just explain that firstly I cringe at sweet boys that give me their number in a mysterious gross way but mainly because I'm trying to change. I had a quite serious addiction to sex which I tried to deny but it was pretty obvious I had a problem. It would get in the way of friendships, of work and school and especially my own happiness. This year is about me.

Do. Not. Call.

...

...

"Fuck god dammit"

Is what I say as I leave his apartment.

At least I made it clear that it was a one night stand.
Ugh he was so gross with his 'you're so beautiful' and 'I want to take you on a date' bullshit.

I really don't plan on 'dating' anyone and especially don't want to do that back and forth flirting banter bullshit and the whole 'he loves me he loves me not' shit that fucking kids do.
I'm going to bed and watching something trashy to distract myself.
Of course it doesn't fucking work.