Chapter 17

I freeze.

Images of his snarling wolf slamming itself furiously against that wall of heat I'd trapped it in in his room spring to mind and I can't seem to shake them as my heart beat quickens and I feel the panic rising in my chest.

I can't stop the memories from that day from flooding back in.

"I will do everything in my power to make you stay here with me, even if it means marking you against your will and locking you in this room for the rest of your life." His words ring in my ears, over and over again.

It feels like so long ago now, but really, it's only been a matter of weeks. Can someone change so much in just a few weeks?

My hands quiver as I push myself away from him, falling back onto the couch. I look away from him, focusing on the window as I consider my response. "Why? Why now?" Why now, when I'm finally beginning to trust you? Why ask me this now? I finish the thought silently, still refusing to look at him.

I don't know how to look at him when the image of his snarling, feral wolf is thrashing around in my head. Ready to trap me, keep me away from the rest of the world.

He moves back into the seat across from mine and I feel thankful for the distance. I need the space to think and clear my mind.

"Tomorrow night, if something goes wrong..." His voice is low, but when I glance back at him his eyes are still green. The sadness I see in them sends a sharp pain through my chest. "If something goes wrong, I'll be able to find you. I'll know if you're safe..." He trails off.

"Please, Clara. I need to know you'll be safe. I know what I said to you before-it was wrong, and I am so, so sorry that I hurt you," he says. "Please, Clara. I can't survive without you. I need to know you'll be okay."

I've never seen a grown man beg before, and it breaks my heart to see him look so defeated. I want to go to him and wrap him in my arms, I want to tell him what he wants to hear, but I don't. I can't.

"I don't want you to feel trapped here," he says, his eyes boring into mine. "I care about you Clara-if you want to leave when all this is over I won't stand in your way." His jaw is clenched and it sounds as if the words are physically painful for him to spit out of his mouth, but I can see the sincerity written across his face.

I have to hold myself back to keep from going to him, the pain in his voice causing a visceral reaction in my body, as my heart races and my hands shake. "I don't want to leave," I tell him, surprising even myself. "I just... I'm just not sure I'm ready for that, not yet."

He nods, but I can tell he's holding himself back.

"But you don't need to worry about me. I've improved a lot with Nora," I tell him, seriously. "They won't know what hit them."

"I'll always worry about you," he replies, still staring at me. He leans forward suddenly, grabbing one of my hands in both of his. I wait for him to speak. "I care about you Clara. I just don't want to see you get hurt."

I smile sadly at him, wishing I could give him a better answer. "I care about you too, Tiberius. More than I probably should." He can be overbearing and possessive and way more serious than he needs to be, but he's also smart and kind and empathetic. Watching him at Jenna's bedside and caring for the pack these past few weeks have taught me that there is so much more to him than I'd originally thought.

And that I don't want to live without him anymore.

His grip tightens on my hand and he lets out a frustrated sigh. "That's not what I mean, Clara. I'm in love with you." I just stare at him, my eyes wide. I can't seem to find any of the right words to respond to him.