Epilogue

Six months later

"Hey, it's going to be okay," Callum tells me.

I glance back at him, standing in my doorway as I pack my things. "You don't know that. We haven't spoken in months. What if he's..." What if he's forgotten about me? I can't bear to say the words, pursing my lips shut instead.

Callum gives me a reassuring smile. "You're his soulmate, Clara. I don't think that's how it works."

"You don't know that," I grumble back. But his words work to soothe my fears, at least a little bit.

When I finish packing my suitcase, I lean back, looking carefully around the room.

When Callum and I returned home, I found it exactly as Charlie and I had left it that morning so long ago. Her bed was a mess, sheets and blankets still out of order, a warm blue blob in the middle of the bed, as if mom had never had the strength to fix them.

My bed was made, just how I'd left it. The lavender blanket was pulled up over my old pillows, and an old teddy bear from my father, one that I'd taken to sleeping with after his death, was tucked between my pillows.

It was strange, like stepping back in time. The first time I entered the room, I felt like Charlie would walk in at any moment, as if we were still sixteen and everything was okay again.

The feeling didn't last long.

I'm not sure my mother has quite wrapped her mind around everything I've told her yet. Even with my own demonstration – I may or may not have lit a fire in the middle of the kitchen – she's hesitant to believe in werewolves.

I don't blame her. The story is a bit, well, unbelievable.

She's going to come with me to meet Tiberius though, so I doubt she'll be able to doubt it much longer. Seeing is believing, after all.

I think in her heart she already thought that we were dead. I'll never be able to get her expression when I walked in the door after Callum out of my mind.

I've never seen anyone look so happy, shocked, and profoundly sad at the same time. She looked for Charlie behind me, her face falling when she realized it was just the two of us.

Explaining what happened, telling her about Charlie's death... that was probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

I sit on my suitcase, yanking the zipper all the way around.

I went so long without anything more than a backpack that a suitcase now feels like a luxury—one I take full advantage of.

The drive to the airport and the flight pass in a blur. Mom sleeps the entire time, but I'm to wired to sleep. Too nervous.

I told Tiberius that I thought we should take the time while I was gone for ourselves. I asked him not to reach out, and told him I'd be back soon.

It felt important, at the time.

I've never had the chance to figure out what I want in life. I wanted us both to have the chance to figure things out apart from each other.

I just didn't expect our time apart to last six months.

God, I should have called. What if I show up on his door – with my mom, no less – and he's no longer interested? The thought is nearly enough to give me heart palpitations.

There's been a strange ache in my chest ever since I left Frisco, and I think it's because we're so far apart. We're so far apart it hurts.

By the time the plane lands and we load ourselves in a cab heading towards his cabin, all I can feel is panic.

Mom is staying with aunt Flora while she's here, but she wanted to meet him before I move myself back in – and after vanishing without a word for four years, I at least owe her that much.

I play awkwardly with my fingers, staring at my lap as the cab drives through Frisco, ever closer to the man I left behind six months ago.

Will he be mad that I took so long?

I try not to feel guilty. I needed the time, the space.

I feel nauseous.

The road gets bumpier the deeper into the woods we drive, until suddenly the cab has pulled to a stop and my mother is paying the driver. He helps us grab our bags and speeds off down the road.

My heart is in my throat, echoing loudly in my ears.

Mom nudges me gently, gesturing for me to lead the way. I take a deep breath.

But the door opens before I reach it, a tall, bland figure standing in the doorway. There's a small pink lighter clutched tightly in one hand while the other has a white-knuckle grip on the door knob.

I grin at him, trying to ignore my own unease at the blank look on his face. "Tiberius?"

He's on me in seconds.

His arms wrap around my waist, pulling me flush against him, and his nose nuzzles my hair. He's so warm.

Familiar tingles work their way up my spine and I return the favour, hugging him back and burying my face in his chest. It's been so long.

"I'm sorry I didn't call," I mumble.

"It's okay," he says, rubbing small circles on my back. "I understand. All that matters is that you're here now."

A throat clears from behind us and I leap away as Tiberius's face flushes. I can't help smiling at the sight—I've never seen him blush before. It's adorable.

My mother comes up  and holds out her hand. To my relief, the look on her face is cautious, but friendly. Tiberius grabs it in his, giving it a firm shake. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Nichols."

Mom just smiles, pulling out of his grip and turning toward the cabin. "I believe we have some catching up to do."

Tiberius turns to look at me once she's passed him, walking as if she owns the place, and I just shrug, grabbing his hand in mine.

I can tell she thinks he's a bit old for me, and that she doesn't fully trust him. The look is clear on her face, as much as she tries to hide it. But it doesn't matter, not really. Because I trust him, and we both know that's all that matters.

I can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees him in wolf form.

AN - Thank you all for coming on this journey with me. 

When I first started writing Animals, I intended to write a sequel. One where Ira lived and Clara left an injured Tiberius to track him down and face him herself. But as I came to the conclusion of Animals, I realized that for me, Clara's story has run its course. 

It was important to me that they have some time apart though, something to allow both of them to figure out what they wanted without the influence of the mate bond. Throughout writing this, the most important thing to me was making sure that Clara remained her own person, not simply one half of a relationship. I didn't want Clara to need Tiberius, it was more important to me that she not need him for her own happiness, but rather want him instead.

I started writing this book at a difficult time in my life, and it helped me get through several more. But now I'm looking forward to writing new books in new genres, and exploring the kinds of stories I can come up with.  I hope you'll stay with me as I do.

The support I've been given by my readers has been incredible, and it's safe to say I could have never finished this novel without the love and support from all of you. Thank you all so much. 

And an extra big thanks to everyone who stayed with me from the beginning, through all the months-late updates. I appreciate you.