17 → Everything's Not Lost

One of the things Dia Castillo expected to happen at the Avengers compound was that at one point or another, she would encounter an Avenger in the middle of the night

One of the things Dia Castillo expected to happen at the Avengers compound was that at one point or another, she would encounter an Avenger in the middle of the night. It would either be as she returned from work late at night, or a sleepless night or a midnight walk after an anxiety attack. There were actually many reasons but in the weeks she's been there, she didn't encounter anyone in the middle of the night. Not even Vision, the android that doesn't sleep.

It was three in the morning in New York and she just returned from Norway where the day is just beginning. Rhys went back to the school where he can take a shower and sleep in his own bed. Bruce and Dia returned to the compound but Bruce went straight to his room, more than ready to sleep. Dia went to the kitchen to get a cup of water, but Biscuit went to the room to sleep. He tired himself by playing with the Asgardian children who never get tired of him because they've never seen a dog until they arrived at Earth. Thor was the only one who stayed behind.

When she entered the kitchen, Dia's eyes immediately landed on the dark figure sitting at the kitchen bar. Her mind quickly went to the cucuy, the creature that kidnaps children. Yes, he is a mythical creature Hispanic parents often use to scare their children, that the cucuy will come, kidnap them and eat them. But no matter how old you are, and know for a fact that the cucuy isn't real, a threat by your parents of the cucuy coming to get you brings back the childhood fear.

Dia quickly pulled her new phone out and shined the light on the dark figure. Instead of it hissing and running away, it groaned and closed its eyes.

"Ow, hey!" Bucky groaned and blocked the light with his right hand.

She immediately felt bad for blinding the man and turned the light off, leaving them in the darkness again. She quickly opened the app she uses to talk (thankfully Tony installed it) and typed a message "I'm sorry. I thought you were the cucuy"

"The what?" Bucky questioned.

"A mythical creature that kidnaps children and then eats them"

"But you're not a child" he spoke in the dark.

Dia narrowed her eyes and ignored Bucky's comment "Is there a reason why you're sitting in the dark? Can I turn the light on? I don't know if being a super soldier gave you night vision, but mortals like me can't see in the dark"

Bucky chuckled "sure. Go ahead"

Dia reached for the switch and flicked the light on. The kitchen brightened up and Dia blinked to adjust her eyes to the light. She passed a hand through her hair before grabbing a cup and pouring herself some water.

"What are you doing up so late?" Dia typed in her phone after she drank the water and took a seat on a stool across the kitchen bar facing Bucky.