Chapter 1: I Cannot Kill The Boy

Arya
Present Day

Run.

I sprinted through the tangled weeds as the dry branches snapped against my skin, some leaving fresh cuts in their wake. Jumping over uplifted roots, I pushed myself further as the race against time began. Darkness had began to settle, and that was my indication to move... Not for the consequences of being late, but more so the dangers of the forest at night. I could see another figure emerging from Riodhir Forest as I made it out into the open, leveled field.

"Did you get him?" I asked as he easily caught up to my position at the entrance of the forest. We were nearing the city's borders where two of the Lord's soldiers impatiently awaited our arrival by the gates.

"Yes, the guards are bringing him in." Daemon replied. He picked up speed across the flat plains as soon as we finally drew closer to the large gated entrance. Our sprint slowed to a steady jog when we approached the massive iron doors that were connected to the cities wall.

The wall stretched more than a mile out, both east and west. It safely encased, or rather entrapped, the city from Riodhir forest.

It was originally built at Lord Darkmore's command during the War of Magic... And that was many years ago.

Back when it was being constructed, He insisted it was for his people's safety, but the door operated both ways. While it did successfully keep the mystical dark entities of the forest out, it also condemned the people of Orillion to a life of confinement.

"What took you two so long?" The first guard demanded, quickly ushering us inside the city walls as he instructed the men at the gate towers to close the doors. The guard wore the cities vibrant green emblem across his chest, it was a handprint that signified the reign of men upon the region. The same emblem was engraved upon his balanced sword, along with the pledge to the services forged by Lord Nadir Darkmore himself.

"You two were tasked to hunt down one little boy and you've been gone hours, you've kept the Lord waiting." The second soldier said as we jogged through the entrance grounds, where soldiers training had already begun.

I did my best to remain in control of my emotions, but the same principles did not apply when it came to Daemon. I could feel the annoyance radiating off him in waves, as each word fell from the soldiers mouths... so it came with no surprise when the two soldiers were left on the ground clutching their sides while Daemon stood over them with a blade drawn.

"Let us make something deafeningly clear," Daemon began, as he crouched near their laying bodies with his double edged machetes now mere hair lengths away from their throats, "we answer to no one but Lord Darkmore. Question our loyalty again and I will not hesitate to cut out either of your filthy tasteless tongues, are we understood?"

The men remained still, the sharp blades pinned so close to the neck that any movement would penetrate skin. But Daemon wouldn't budge, clearing his throat as he repeated himself.

"I asked you a question." The two guards ever so slightly tipped their head in a nod and the blade pierced through the skin just above their Adam's apple, causing a drop of blood to slide down the curve of their necks. Satisfied, Daemon released the blades that held them captive, and backed away.

"Lord Darkmore is waiting." He said, signaling for me to continue on into the castle. I shook my head in disapproval as I walked alongside him. Daemon had a rage that was impossible to control.

We passed through the entrance doors into the large castles main hall. It split at each end creating separate corridors and passageways. The marble stone walls in the entrance were decorated with paintings of the past Lords and Ladies, along with monumental artifacts from the conquests of Lord Darkmore and the commanders who came previous to his rule. Displays like this lined every corner of the castle in what truly was a magnificent arrangement put together by Lord Darkmore himself. I never did care for artifacts though.