Chapter 9: How Dare You Leave Us?

Merlin
Nineteen Years Ago

"Excalibur?" Arthur asked, gently placing the blade back on the table.

"There are only few who can wield this blade. The council has no knowledge of the fact that this blade is even here, and we must keep it that way." I spoke very low to him. "The blade affects those, both Men and Sorcerers, alike. It is said that any individual who processes this blade wields great power, but much like Magik, this blade is a reflection of its wielder.

"It's rumored to amplify the intentions of your heart. If your heart is pure, you could defeat any form of evil, whether mortal or immortal. But it also proves the same for the dark pulls of Magik, if your heart is filled with immense hate, you can defeat any light Magic, regardless of its rank in power."

"How did you conceal this weapon? With power this great, it cannot just sit simply on my damn coffee table." Arthur replied.

"I've been using my own Magik to conceal its whereabouts. It has began to drain my life source, Arthur. If you are to use this sword, you must act quickly. I only have enough left in me for the journey back to Sithir. There is only one place the sword can go that will confirm its safety."

"You mean you wish for me to use this?" Arthur asked incredulously.

"Did you honestly believe I left for thirty-two years to bring you back some trinket? This sword is to aid you in the War against Darkness. You must defeat the corruption that has latched itself onto the race of Men." I replied seriously, my tone dropping.

"I will do whatever is expected of me, for my people." Arthur replied honestly, as he pushed himself up from the chair. There was a knock on the door.

"Come in." Arthur said, moving to the door. The hinges ground against itself as the heavy door was forced open. I leant down and grabbed my staff before slowly pushing myself up. I turned to see a familiar face walk through the door. She focused in on Arthur while she made her way inside. I thought she was going to say something, but she suddenly caught herself when her eyes found mine.

"Merlin?" She called quietly, her voice breaking. "This can't be... is that really you?"

"It's been a long time, my friend." I replied, walking towards her. She unexpectedly launched forward, and her body collided into mine. I chuckled lightly, stumbling back a bit as she sobbed into my shoulder.

"You haven't aged a day, my dear Gwen." I whispered into her ear as my hands reached up to stroke her long, sun kissed hair. She sobbed harder into me, her hands wrapping tighter against my waist. I glanced at Arthur for assistance and his smile only grew. After sometime, he finally stepped forward and pulled his wife off of my thin frame.

"How dare you leave us?" She hissed, clutching Arthur's side.

"I'm sorry, truly." I replied, grinning back at her while Arthur steered us all towards the fireplace. I had grown to miss her swift emotions and her fierce temper.

"You never said goodbye." Gwen hiccuped. The  sleeves of her long, elegant ruby red dress was now stained with her tears.

"You know I was never one for goodbyes." I replied quietly as she finally nodded to herself.

"Thirty- two years Merlin. Thirty-two years you've been gone, and we've been here." She replied with a sharpness. "Look at us, we've grown old. We've loved. We've lost. We've hurt. We are no longer the carefree children we once were. We've experienced a lifetime without you Merlin. So please, if you are to stay, then stay. But if you are passing through, then let us know you are passing through." Gwen spoke, the pain etched into her face. I glanced up at Arthur who sat beside his wife, opposite me.

"I'm here to stay." I lied to her, assuring her. I glanced back at Arthur and he nodded his head lightly. Their was only ever one man that could see straight through my lies, and he was sitting across from me, urging me to continue. Gwen's sobs began to fade as Arthur whispered reassuring words into her ears. When her emotions finally settled, she took notice of Excalibur.

"What is this?" She asked gently, bending over to pick it up. "It's beautiful." Gwen whispered, as her hands lightly glided across the metal.

"It's a gift from me to Arthur. Just something I acquired on my travels." I dismissed quickly. Airy her caught my eyes and I gave him a stern nod, which he returned. I had to make sure he understood just how important the secrecy of this sword was.

"The blade is perfectly balanced, beautiful carvings as well." Gwen admitted, testing the weight with the palm of her hand.

"Careful, my love." Arthur replied, sliding the sword out from her hands and gently placing it back onto the table.

She smiled back up at him, as they exchanged a smile.

"I must see to preparations for dinner!" She announced, with Arthur following shortly behind her. She placed a light kiss against the side of my cheek before taking her leave. Arthur and I sat back down and waited for the doors to close before we continued.

"A love like that can rule a Kingdom." I replied, smiling at my friend. A love like that did.

"You've stood through it all, haven't you Merlin?" Arthur asked, his eyes warm from the love that surrounded him.

We had both experienced the loss of many. The betrayal of friends. The return of foes.

Yet, through all that suffering, we both found something that grounded us, someone that anchored our souls to the light. Someone who saw our hardened hearts as a challenge, rather than some impossible task.

"We've stood through it all, my dear friend." I replied, reaching forward to whack his arm with my staff. We chuckled lightly before easing into an easy silence.

I had arrived in Camelot's Realm at dawn, slipping through the walls quietly so that I wouldn't be noticed. I originally planned to visit Arthur's chambers immediately, but I couldn't bring myself to. Thirty-two years of an unexplained disappearance could not be mended on a simple apology, this I knew.

I found myself wandering aimlessly throughout the castle, as memories from those thirty-two years ago, resurfaced. No buildings had changed; but the people had. A tide had shifted in Riodhir.

"Merlin?" Arthur called, after some time had passed.

"Yes, Arthur." I replied. We continued to soak in the warmth of the burning wood.

"You've been gone thirty-two years."

"That I have." I replied.

"Thirty-two years is some time."

"Indeed it is," I nodded.

"Long enough for most to experience death. And some to experience love." He continued.

"Spit it out, Arthur."

He chuckled gently, scratching his beard before continuing. "Have you found someone?"

"You are bound to Gwen, as I am to my solitude, my friend." I replied simply. This had been the second lie that I had said today. Arthur smiled because he knew. He always knew.

••