Chapter 2: Goodbye Arya

I whimpered as the pain shot instantaneously through my spine, when I tried to push his dead weight body off me. Dameon had most definitely did some damage, but I didn't have time to dwell on my injuries.

I got to work, sliding the key through the remaining locks as I watched the chains fall. The boy began to stir as his body awakened from the senseless state the procedure had left him in.

"Who are you?" The boy asked groggily when I pulled the heavy chains off. I drew my dagger to cut the remaining rope off, and the boy let out an ear deafening scream. My hand went over his mouth instantly as I tried to silence him but it was too late, the scream echoed off every cold wall around us, engulfing us in a loud array of sounds.

"Keep quiet, I'm trying to rescue you." I hissed at him, trying to finish cutting the bonds. He grew silent when I slowly moved my body away from his and pocketed my blade. I held my finger up to my mouth in a quieting motion and he nodded his head in understanding. He slowly pushed his body up from the chair and started to take a few steps, but quickly lost balance and fell. Ignoring the pain soaring from my back, I pulled his body towards me and supported his remaining weight.

"Listen, and listen closely. These walls are very old, there is an area at the back of this room that has crumbled apart over the years. There should be a hole small enough for you to get through that will lead you to the sewage tunnels. Follow the one that has the strongest draft, with the liquid moving away from here, that will lead you to the end of a sewage chamber that runs directly under the wall. You'll end up at the entrance to Riodhir."

"Are you not coming with?" The boy asked, frightened, as his hands suddenly held me tighter.

"I can't. I will try and draw as many guards as I can towards this cell so you shouldn't run into any once you're through that tunnel. When you have sight of the forest, run. Run as quickly as you can and put as much distance between you and here. Lord Darkmore will send out hunters for you but they don't know the mysteries of the Riodhir as well as you and I, they won't get far." I instructed him, wrapping a piece of bread I had left inside my satchel, and placing it in his small hands.

I heard the shuffle of guards going down the steps of the winding staircase as they drew near to the dungeon's entrance.

"You must go, now!" I said, pushing his body from mine towards the passage.

"I will not forget this." The boy spoke as he turned back to me for the last time before crouching his body down to slide through the ruins.

"Something tells me I won't either." I whispered more to myself as the boy disappeared.

I heard the steel gates open and the hinges of the doors roared to life and the first guard filed into the room. He glanced at the empty chair, the undone chains, and Daemon who lay unconscious beside me, then drew his sword. Before he could move to strike, my right arm connected with his wrist and I twisted hard, shattering every fragile bone and destroying the connected joints. He let out a cry as his sword fell to the ground but my free arm slid out my machetes and slit his throat before he could move.

I pushed my body up against the side of the entrance and waited for the next guard come in. As soon as I caught sight of his armor, I slid my dagger through his jugular and he toppled to the ground, gasping for air as his own blood pooled to the floor.

When I did finally make my way out of the dungeon, I began to climb the winding staircase. Before I could barely reach the top, another guard appeared from the side of the entrance and struck  my stomach with the handle of his sword. I fell back, tumbling down the winding stairs and landed on my back. Pain instantly shot through my spine. The last thing I remained conscious for was my body being lifted by two guards before another blow was dealt to my jaw, and my vision went black.