Chapter 11: Evienne

Merlin
Thirty-two Years Ago

My feet moved slow and precisely against the forest floor, careful to not disturb the silence or wake the beasts that used the the darkness as a cover to cloak themselves. The forests of Sithir was not something to be taken lightly, it's dark entities were still unknown to us sorcerers. I could see the forest opening up as the lake came into view. I have lived many years, even through the age of dragons, yet what my eyes saw was something I had never seen before.

The lake was a few hundred feet ahead, and stretched for what looked like a thousand feet or so in all directions. The lake had an enchantment casted, that shielded it from the naked eye. I had cast an enchantment upon my own eyes to allow myself to see.

From afar, the moon's illumination lit up the ripples of water, creating whimsical lights as they reflected the white light. I slowly approached the edge of the lake. The ripple's direction hadn't made any sense, as they carried the water away from the shore, instead of towards it. I took a few step away to set my travel sac down besides me, before redirecting my attention towards the lake.

"Evienne." I whispered out into the emptiness. I was careful not to speak too loudly, and awaken the serene peace the forest had drifted off too, this late into the night. I looked to the waters, hoping to see her emerge. But nothing happened. "Evienne." I called again, quietly.

I then waited.

And waited.

After what had felt like a fortnight, I sighed to myself. This wasn't how I had planned for the night to go. This was-... she was my last hope. The visions had started to get stronger. I needed her.

When I turned around and bent down to pick up my bag, my body slowed to a still. I felt something. The atmosphere had begun to change.

"Merlin." The voice said from somewhere behind me. As I turned back around, I could see a head had submerge from the quiet waters.

It was a woman. From the light of the moon, I was able to make out some of her features. She was devastatingly beautiful. Her black hair pooled at the surface of the water as her dark skin created a beautiful contrast with her striking green eyes. They were staring back at my hazel ones. I dropped my sac back onto the ground and walked closer to the edge of the lake.

"Merlin, is it not?" She whispered, her voice traveling like currents to my ears as it drew me into the water. I paid no heed to my damp clothing as I moved further against the current, towards her.

"That, it is." I replied, never breaking contact with her. I continued to walk deeper until I stood a couple feet away, fully submerged into the water. Being this close to her made my body heat up in a way that shouldn't have been possible considering the ice cold conditions of the lake. I could feel some of my Magikal entity flow through my body as the currents began to surround me. "You're beautiful." I said, instantly chastising myself for voicing my unfiltered thoughts.

She smiled faintly, her eyes finally breaking contact when she put a bit more distance between us. As she moved back, I felt something scaley grace against the side of my leg. "What was that?" I asked hesitantly, drifting further away. Fear flashed through her eyes for what seemed like an instant before they were replaced with something unreadable. She moved even further back before something emerged from beneath her. I couldn't believe what I was seeing as a long, shimmery green tail broke through the surface. It's shade matched her eyes perfectly. My hand reached out slowly as the tail slid with grace beneath my fingers.

"The legends mentioned nothing of this." I whispered, admiring the reflective colors the scales had. Her face broke out into an overwhelming smile as she laughed lightly at my comment. The laughter soon died out.

"What you want, I cannot give you." She spoke softly, her smile fading when she moved herself closer."The visions have continued."

"How did you know?" I asked, taken back slightly.

"I see everything, Merlin. I am very old. Older than yourself, even. I know who you are, and why you've risked so much to come here. You've seen it, haven't you? You've seen the fall of the Sorcerers."

"I must do something. If I am to be the legendary sorcerer that has been prophesied of me, there must be something I can do to protect my people... Protect my friends." I sighed, slipping further under the water. I felt her tail grace against my side again.

"What you are asking for could lead to disastrous events- Merlin. This sword is no simple weapon. It has the power to build an army, and destroy one. The man who you have chosen to wield this power- are you certain he can?" She asked. Her hand raised up from the water, and her cold fingers gently traced across my jawline. I leant into her touch.

"He's... Changed. He's becoming the king everyone wants him to be. He's becoming the king he needs to be. But I'm not sure if he's becoming the king he wants himself to be." I explained, my heart clenching at the thought of how I had left him and Gwen, just disappearing like that.

"Do you believe he is ready to rule?"

"Arthur was born ready. But what I am asking of you, will not come into effect until the time is right. In order for me to be able to conceal such a weapon, I must first become stronger. The amount of Magik entity I will need to conjure for this particular sword will be on a scale I did not know existed. It will, essentially, use up my entire life source to bring back to Camelot through the realms without The Council discovering its whereabouts. Putting such power into hands of a man would not be condoned by any member of The Council-"

"For good reason." She interrupted.

"Yes. But this is my last hope. I must know that when the time has come, you will be willing to help me, Evienne. A betrayal so great is soon to come upon the realms of Riodhir."

"I will give you what you need when the day is before us. Until then, I will teach you how to use more of your Magik. The amount of Magik it will take to conceal the sword you speak of, is far beyond the power of The Council. You will not just need to be great, Merlin. You will have to be the best."

"Is that even possible?" I asked, staring at her incredulously.

"Time will tell." She replied simply, before sliding herself up to lay a kiss against my cheek. My face turned a shade of crimson as she pulled away. "The sun will be rising soon. You should leave."

I glanced up at the sky that had now significantly lightened since I had first arrived at the lake. "When will I see you again?" I asked as I made my way out of the water.

"Tonight. I lose the power to be summoned during the day. The lake harnesses its life source from the moonlight." She explained as I pulled myself out. My body shook from the cold air that passed through the damp clothing. "Nights will be when we train." She swam towards the shore with incredible speed as her tail came into full view from the shallow waters. She beckoned me to draw closer, so I walked further into the water again.

Her lips came up to my ear and she whispered something to me.

"The visions will continue to intensify. You cannot go back to Camelot until it is your time, Merlin. Regardless of what you see, you cannot go back."

She pushed away from me and swam back, her tail effortlessly slicing through the waters until her body was fully submerged. "Goodbye Merlin." She spoke, before her head slipped under the current. The shadows of her body disappeared from beneath the lake.

"Goodbye... Evienne."

••