Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Smile

Chapter Five - Smile

Nick

"So you're alive," I snapped the moment I barged inside Blake's office.

His eyes were fixed on his laptop screen and the moment he looked up, a look of surprise fell on his face, followed by a roll of his eyes and then a sigh.

"I imagined you lying in a hospital bed, since that's the only reason you wouldn't be answering my texts or calls, right?" I asked.

"What do you want, Nick?" he said wryly.

"Nothing." I shook my head. "In fact, I come bearing gifts."

Walking up to his desk, I held up a giant chocolate bar in front of him.

"You know I'm not a fan of chocolates." His eyes narrowed for a moment.

"Yeah. Which is why I brought it." I opened the wrapper and took a large bite, suppressing a laugh when Blake scowled at me.

"So you came here all the way from your office just to eat a chocolate bar?"

"No, of course not." I shook my head. "I came here to make sure you still know how to use your phone so you can reply to people."

He sighed. "I've been busy, Nick."

"Doing what, exactly?" I raised a brow.

"You know I run a company, right?"

"Yeah, so do I." I shrugged. "What's your point?"

"Well, someone's not taking your staff away so..." He shrugged.

"Intern," I corrected.

"Yeah. An intern that still did some important work around here."

"No wonder you sent her to pick up a bunch of files." I raised a brow.

His jaw clenched as he watched me silently for a few moments and I prepared myself to dodge a punch.

"What do you want with her, Nick?" he finally asked.

I blinked. "Who? Caroline?"

He didn't answer.

"What could I possibly want with her?" I frowned.

"You tell me. Going to the extent of fighting your best bud just to have her work for you? Seems suspicious."

"Okay, Detective Andrews," I chuckled. "First, you're just overthinking, and second, I didn't fight you."

"Oh, you didn't?"

"We just had a disagreement, Blake. What are you so mad about?"

He took a deep breath and turned to his laptop again. "I'm working, Nick."

Come on!

"Look," I snapped. "If you've got a problem with me, say it to my face. Or challenge me to a kickboxing match if you really wanna let some steam off."

He raised a brow.

"Relax, I'll let you hit me," I muttered.

At this he let out frustrated groan, and to my surprise, a laugh.

"But don't ignore me. You know I hate it when someone does that," I said.

"I know." He nodded. "Which is why I do it."

I narrowed my eyes.

"So are you going to eat this chocolate or am I gonna have to finish it off alone?" I asked.