11 - Show Me

“The heart dies a slow death, shedding each hope like leaves until one day there are none. No hopes. Nothing remains.”

― Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

______________________

“I can be quite useful,“ I countered.

Elaine rolled her eyes and held out her left hand in front of her, checking the pink nail polish. Satisfied with what she saw, she smiled to herself.

“What’s your plan, pretty boy?” Her tone was nonchalant, but she looked rather unimpressed.

So, she thought I was attractive?

As if she could read my thoughts, she warned me, “Don’t flatter yourself.”

I took a minute to study her choice of clothes. Dark blue skinny jeans with a black leather belt, a white top stuck into her jeans, a black cardigan covering her arms and black flats decorating her feet.

Her long chocolate brown hair cascaded around her face and past her breasts, stopping above the spot her belly button had to be. Even though it was straight, it complimented her overall appearance. She was breathtaking.

She barely wore any make-up, the mascara around her eyes only causing her eyelashes to appear longer. Her eyes had almost the same colour as her hair, just a tad darker.

“Just let me know when you’ve finished staring,” Elaine glared at me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“I wasn’t staring,” I snapped back, my tone harsh and rude.

Elaine didn’t gift me with an answer. Instead, she turned around and walked off.

I debated whether to coast her or not, but I knew it was my duty to get her to follow me to Shimmerland. I had no other choice than to fall in step with her.

It couldn’t be that hard to get her to listen to me. After all, I had encouraged a little girl and a raging man to cross the bridge.

An 18-year-old girl shouldn’t be worse than them.

“Stop following me around, that’s creepy,” Elaine complained.

“I can’t let you out of sight, I have a job to fulfill,” I explained, not slowing down.

“How old are you anyway?”

“Doesn’t matter, you’re legal and we’re dead, I don’t think law will come between you and I, no matter what,” I winked at her.

She looked at me in disgust. “See? That’s why I won’t follow you anywhere.”

“Don’t be so sure of yourself.” I let her walk ahead a bit, still keeping my eyes on her petite figure.

She had a nice bum.

“What do you do all day long?” She suddenly asked.

“Try to convince stubborn souls like you to listen to me,” I replied, not meeting her gaze.

“How long does it usually take for you to convince them?” Where were all these questions coming from, suddenly? I had the impression she didn’t even want to be in my presence.

“Not that long, I’m pretty persuasive,” I let her know. My lips treated to go up in a smile but I fought really hard to keep a neutral expression.

Elaine snorted and arrogantly threw her hair over one shoulder. Bitch flip.

The sun was rising higher and higher on the horizon, the first rays of sun urging through the dense trees.