Chapter 1

The path I took through the crop field was as visible as any trail in fresh snow. I stood for a moment, taking a deep breath to admire the unwilted scent of the Shire. This was all I knew, besides the outrageous stories I've overheard from Mr. Baggins. That man could light up any fairy tale in a young halfings eyes- I just so happened to be one of them.
  Growing up with all these stories led my mother and father to believe I was actually going delusional. After all, how could such a Hobbit (a lady at that) be so brave?
  "The Shire is a place of peace. And second breakfast. Don't you like second breakfast Poppie?" My parents would babble on. Yet this did not stop my heart from aching for an adventure. Mine will be handed to me when it's time. I'll believe that much.
  My finger tips slowly run across the large cornstalks that towered over me do to my short stature.
  "Poppie! C'mon now, we mustn't be late for the party!" My eyes snapped open at the mention of my name. I let out a small huff of air, taking one last glance at the green and yellow field before me, shouting my response.
  "Coming!" I took a fist full of my skirt, hiking it up high enough for me to run out of the maze my thoughts have been trapped in many times before.
  "Clean yourself up a bit Poppie, for Pete's sake." Father dusted off the pocket of my skirt with a tired grunt.
  "You should be more like the other shire-women." My mother gave me a disappointed head shake.
  "It won't happen again." My head ducked down shamefully, my thin fingers fumbling with the purple ruffles on my blouse.
  "Well we better get going now. The sun is going down." Father clapped his hands together.

  Light-hearted music advanced throughout the party. Quite the crowd was drawn to the middle where people danced happily, all protected by the pure innocence of the day. My eyes scanned over people's bright faces as I served the next plate of food to a much willing Hobbit.
  "Hey there." I heard a familiar voice appear in front of me.
  "Hey! Seconds already Mr. Samwise?" I winked playfully at the hobbit standing across from me at the serving table.
  "Uh, no actually." He showed his hands far down in his pockets. I gently set the serving spoon down and gave him a confused look.
  "What can I do for you?" My eyebrow raised along with my expression.
  "Well I was hopin' for a dance, if you have one to give." His hazel eyes meet my blue ones.
  "A dance?" My eyebrows raise even more curiously. "I'm no dancer." I held a hand to my chest.
  "Neither am I. I bet we could figure it out together though." He held out his hand his hand for me to take. My lips couldn't help but curve into a smile. I quickly untie my apron, resting my hand on his as I made my way around the table.
  "In that case, I'd love to dance!" I had to shout over the loud music, leaning in closer to him as I spoke to make it easier for him to hear. People all around us began to clap, pushing us towards the center of the circle. I gave him a mischievous grin before taking both his hands and spinning underneath them.

  My chest was heaving heavily when we finally took a break a plopped down at a table.
  "That was quite the show you two put on!" Frodo's voice spoke from behind me. I turned to give him a playful glare, just as Sam nudged his side.
  "You know, I'd like to see you out there Frodo, shouldn't you be following your uncle around to make sure he doesn't accidentally fall into his cake?" I shot back, causing all of us to fall into a fit of laughter.
  "I don't think anyone would like to see me out therr dancing." He shook his head, taking a bite of bread. Just as I opened my mouth to speak, one of Gandalf's fireworks boomed loudly over us. You could hear the laughter and cheers from the young children, urging him to use another. My head tilted up to watch the magic occur above me, looking down for a short moment to see Sam and Frodo both looking up in awe.
  "Which one is your fav-" My question was cut off early by a loud boom, followed by a tent flying high in the air. 
  "You don't see that everyday." Sam said softly; more so to himself than anyone else. Gasps fell from other people's mouths all around us until another boom was heard- and a giant glowing dragon was seen flying high over us. Everyone began screaming, running to take shelter in case it caused destruction. I looked over to see that Frodo was long gone, leaving Sam and I staring at each other in horror.
  "Table! Under the table!" I pointed frantically, holding up the table cloth for him to crawl under before doing so myself. Once everything was silent (besides a few murmurs), I lifted the table cloth. It was just in time to see the most extravagantly beautiful firework burst into the sky. Excitedly, I looked over at Sam who was staring at me the same.
  "That was my favorite." He leaned in to whisper with a large grin.