Chapter 2

After everyone settled down at their designated family tables, Frodo shouted for Mr. Baggins to share a speech, after all 111 is a pretty big number. 

"Today is my 111 birthday. Yes, and alas... 111 years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable Hobbits!" Bilbo started off, his eyes scanning over the crowd. Mine did the same, eventually making contact with Sam's quick enough for us to share a smile.

"I don't know half of you of as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." He added on, earning a few distracted mumbles from those around me. With a few more short words, the adventurous Hobbit we all knew disappeared in thin area not to be seen for the rest of the night. Few got up to search for him, while others stayed in order to clean up the wild mess the party had left behind. I heard the unmistakable bickers of my close friends Merry and Pippin from inside a tent.

"I knew it had to be you two." A mischievous grin spread across my face as I saw their hair and faces blacked out due to the explosion from the dragon firework.

"I'd hope so! We didn't do it for nothing!" Pippin turned, giving me a huge smile as he scrubbed the back of a plate.

"I didn't think we'd be punished for it though." Merry muttered to himself, setting down a freshly dried cup.

"You know, you did almost kill everyone out there in a terrible accident. Including myself." I nudged Merry's side gently.

"But- we didn't, and that's what counts!" Pippin chimed in, raising a finger in the air to exclaim his point.

"You're very right aren't you?!" I held my hands on my hips, laughing along with him.

"Alright you two, I think I'm going to head on home now. I'll see you around." I nodded my head in their direction before exiting the tent, as I turned the corner I was met with another figure.

"Goodness! I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there." I pushed my hair out of my eyes, looking up to see Sam, my expression changing quickly.

"It was of my doing." He scratched the back of his neck, apologizing as well.

"What are you doing out this late? I thought you would have gone home as soon as Frodo ditched the party." I stepped back a little bit to give him some room.

"I was actually looking for you!" He exclaimed, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Me? Why is that?" I raised an eyebrow at him. I could tell he was trying to look everywhere but at me.

"Did I say you?" He let out a nervous chuckle.

"Yes you sure did." I carefully observed his facial expressions.

"Is that okay?" He asked.

"Of course it's okay." I closed my eyes, laughing a little bit.  "Why wouldn't it be?" I tilted my head in the slightest.

"Oh- I don't know..." He scrunched his nose, shaking his head.  "I was wondering what you were up to."

"Well," I paused, looking around at my surroundings. "I'm about to start my way home. It is getting pretty late." I explained.

"Let me walk you home- it would be a long walk all by yourself." He fluffed up his hair from off his forehead.

"Well I guess I wouldn't deny a little company, and you're not too far off the path." I nodded my head a little bit, gesturing my hand to my side allowing him to walk next to me. 

After a little bit of silence from the two of us, compared to the peaceful quietude of the Shire, Sam looked over at me and began speaking.

"Did you enjoy yourself at the gathering?" He nudged my side gently as we walked.

"Of course I did. Thank you for saving me from serving food all night by the way." My bright blue eyes peered up at him for a moment.

"It's no problem, really." A small smile formed on his face before quickly disappearing. This left me in a state of confusion.

"Is something wrong?" My eyebrows knitted together.

"Possibly, but I'm sure it's nothing. You go on ahead. I'll catch up to you in a moment." His hand gestured down the path, I took a quick glance before looking at him pursing my lips together.

"Don't be too long, I'll be waiting at the bench under the blossom tree." I finally spoke, resting a hand on his shoulder, leaning up to press a bold kiss to his cheek.  His skin quickly flushed bright red. 

"I'll be back." He nodded his head slightly before disappearing into the shrubs in front of Bilbo's home.  I stood waiting until I could no longer see him at least.  At that point I didn't really have much else to do other than to walk on like he said for me to do. A little ways down I came across a bench, I figured it would be the perfect place to wait for Sam. Across the way I watched as young Hobbits ran around a garden, making fun out of the beautiful evening. I couldn't help but to sing along to the childish folk songs that fell past their lips that made me remember my youth so fondly.  Minutes turned into an hour, and the dandelions stopped blowing in the wind.  The night was still. I laid down to let my head rest against at hard wood.  Slowly I felt my eyes close, and my mind wander off into thought...