Chapter 3

"C'mon Sam!" I heard Frodo shout with a big wave of his hand, letting out a heartful laugh. With big eyes, I looked up at Sam, whose eyes were flashing between the other Hobbit and I. I could now tell that I was laughing along with them and I was strangely on the ground.

"Here-" He took my hand to help me up. "He wants to show us something..." Sam's voice was light and airy.  It fell so smoothly past his lips.  A bright smile lit up on my face as I stood.  Frodo was a distance ahead of us now, and I was desperate to catch up.  I felt a hard tap on my shoulder, but when I turned I saw nothing.  Again, there was another hard tap.  My eyes grew heavier until I strained to open them. Everything was black. I laid staring straight up at the dark night sky.

"Lilliana.." I heard a young familiar voice.  I turned my head slightly to look at my little brother Josiah.

"Goodness. I thought you fell ill... What are you doing out here so late? Mother and Father are terribly worried about you." He stepped back to give me space to sit up.  I ran my fingers through my blonde curls, looking around at my surroundings.

"Josiah- have you seen Samwise anywhere near on your way back?" My tired eyes squinted in his direction.  With the slight shake of his head, I let out a sigh.

"Alright then... We should probably start our way back home, yeah?" I stood, dusting off the back of my skirt and immediately walking.  He couldn't see the distressed look on my face.  Has Sam really forgotten?

•••

Father sat at the table, hunched over with a cup pressed to his lips. I could feel the disappointed stare from a mile away.  My head shifted down as I held my hands behind my back.

"I'm sorry-" I began.

"Don't give me excuses Poppie. I was so worried about you... Go get your rest." He shook his head, keeping his eyes forward. 

"Yes sir." I nodded slowly, walking over and kissing his cheek. "Goodnight, I'll be up in the morning to check for eggs." On my way to my bedroom I couldn't help but wonder why Sam would have liked about being right back, he could have seen me sleeping in his way back.  I dressed myself in my night gown before resting my head back against my pillow.

•••

As soon as my eyes opened my gaze was met with Sam's, who was helping me up. It was almost like I was floating.

"Come on! Only a little further!" Frodo gestured for us to follow him once more.  A few more steps and then he was met with a treeline, disappearing into the forest. Sam began running after him, soon leaving my sight as well.

"Sam! Frodo! Wait for me! I'm almost there!" I picked up my skirt and began running in order to catch up with them.  Along with my heavy breathing- I could hear the cheerful laughter of the two boys along with the beautiful noise of running water, almost unmistakingly the sound of a waterfall.  The forest took away a lot of the light provided by the sun, creating a dark moist atmosphere.  Once I came to a clearing, where I expected to receive light and a place to listen to their voices, I stopped.  My hands rested on my hips, huffing as I tried to catch my breath.  It took me a minute before I realized the only thing I could hear was myself. 

"Sam...? Frodo..?" My eyebrows furrowed together.  My eyes scanned the line of the trees around me.

"You can come out now!" I shouted again, in effort to listen for them again. Nothing happened. My eyes glanced up in the sky, seeing big black clouds (BBC) glooming over me.  As soon as I took a step in my chosen direction, there was a crackle of twigs behind me.  Afraid to turn around, my eyes slowly peaked over my shoulder to see a tall dark figure hovering over me. My knees buckled, causing me to fall.  It slowly made it's way over to me.  My heart felt as if it was going to jump right out of my chest. I slowly started to sink down into the leaves until the darkness consumed me.  The only sound was my racing heart, like a loud drum pounding in my ears.