Officially Stark

"That could have gone better," Peter grumbled, sliding into the backseat of the car as Pepper and Tony sat in the front.

"At least you got it over with," Pepper said, glancing back at him with what Peter assumed was supposed to be a reassuring smile. Unfortunately, it wasn't doing a great job.

Instead of telling Pepper that he didn't feel any better, he nodded. It wasn't her fault they were being pressed to make an announcement, but Peter wasn't thrilled they'd had the press release before he graduated high school.

With school starting tomorrow, Peter had wanted to get the news out before they found out through someone else. To be completely fair to his parents, they had been firmly against the idea until Peter threatened to go behind their backs to schedule the conference. As upset as they all were about the timing, it had been inevitable.

"You did good," Tony said, glancing at him through the rear view mirror. "You said everything well and acted like you knew exactly what you were doing. I guess I really am a good teacher."

"Tony," Pepper scolded, giving him an all too familiar look.

Tony grinned at her.

"You really did do well, Peter," she agreed.

Again, Peter just nodded. Despite how much planning they'd done and how many months it had taken, he still felt like it had been decided in the spur of the moment. With the news now out there, he had to face his last year at high school as Tony Stark's son, not Peter: the nerd who was bullied by Flash and "friends" with Tony Stark. That didn't sound particularly enticing.

"I just hope school doesn't change," Peter muttered, knowing it was going to anyway.

"Well, at least you know who your real friends are and won't have to wonder," Pepper said.

She reached back and squeezed his hand, only for Peter to nod yet again and look out his window. All he could do now was hope tomorrow wasn't a disaster.

* * * * *

Tony drove Peter to school the next day. Happy had offered, but Tony wanted to make sure the press didn't go crazy. Although he had tried to make sure Peter was prepared for all the reporters that were going to follow him and demand interviews, he knew Peter could never fully be prepared for that part of announcing himself a Stark. It had taken Tony a couple of years to get used to it and he'd learned how to act around the press from a very young age. Peter did not, but that was not something Tony regretted.

"Here we are," Tony said, parking the car close to the front doors.

There weren't many reporters standing out front and the ones that were there were being escorted out by security. Nevertheless, Peter waited until they were gone before taking a deep breath and reaching for his door handle.

"You'll be fine," Tony assured him, handing over his backpack. "Call me if you need anything. Stick close to Ned and MJ. I trust MJ to take good care of any nosy kids."

Peter gave him a small smile, knowing it was true.

"Love you," he said.

"Love you too."

Peter opened his door and stepped out. He had barely made it to the front steps before people surrounded him, yelling too many questions for Peter to understand. Just when he thought he'd go insane, he heard Michelle's voice carry out over the crowd.

"Hey, move out!"

A few people looked around then darted off. Others gave Michelle irritated looks only to step back when she glared at them.

"MJ." Peter smiled in relief.

Michelle smiled back and grabbed his hand, pulling him through the crowd and down the hall.

"So, I saw you became an official Stark yesterday," she said and suddenly Peter was incredibly glad he'd told her and Ned two years ago. He wouldn't be completely alone now.

"Yeah," Peter replied, pulling his bag up higher on his shoulder as he passed a few people whispering about him. "I'm not sure I like the world knowing, but there's no way to take it back now."

Michelle shrugged.

"Fake your death and start a new life in Wakanda."

Peter gave her a look and she rolled her eyes.

"Or live as Peter Stark and inherit Stark Industries. Whichever you prefer, I guess."

Peter turned to bite back with a response, but they were interrupted by Flash shouting at them from down the hall.

"Yo, Peter!"

Peter sighed and Michelle squeezed his hand.

"I heard the news," Flash said, coming to a stop in front of the two.

"It's more surprising to hear you pay attention to it," Michelle said drily. Flash ignored her.

"Just wanted to say I'm sorry for the past few years and was hoping we could be friends," Flash said, grinning at Peter.

"Why not?" he said, shortly. "There's no reason we wouldn't be."

He shared a look with Michelle, but she was fully invested in scrutinizing Flash and couldn't be bothered to look at Peter.

"Great!" Flash exclaimed, oblivious to the fact Peter hadn't been serious. "I'll swing by your house today, meet your parents, see the place, and chill with the Starks."

Peter gave him a blank look and Michelle raised an unamused eyebrow at Flash.

"We aren't friends, Flash," Peter told him. Flash looked confused. "You bullied me all through high school and now that you know I'm Tony Stark's son, you want to be friends. It's not happening."

"Wait, but I thought—" Flash cut himself off. "You just said we could be friends."

"It was sarcasm,"  Michelle snapped, "Look it up."

While Flash stared at them, she pulled Peter around him and they continued down the hall to his locker.

"On a completely unrelated note," she murmured to Peter, "What movie are we watching for movie night? We aren't going to the theatre, are we?"

They'd never gone to the theatre before as the name Stark tended to pull up questions, but now, Peter had a new idea.

"You know what, I think we should go to the theatre," Peter said, receiving a surprised look from Michelle. "If the press gets to know about my life now, they get to know all about it, and that means they get to meet my wonderful girlfriend."

Peter tried to kiss Michelle briefly but he was met with her fingertips instead of her lips and frowned.

"Save it, Romeo," she smirked. "If you're introducing me to the public, you're going to do it right."

Peter looked at her in confusion, but she didn't leave him wondering what she meant for too long.

"Go big or go home."