The Red

Bucky groaned and righted himself once more, "I'm fine, Stevie."

His words sounded distracted even to him as his mind became overcome by the bond as it reawakened almost fully with a flourish. He had felt the sting in his throat as she bit his neck but the stinging sensation had been replaced with a pleasure that straddled the line between sexual release and immense satisfaction and he felt weighed down by it- bogged down as warmth flowed into him from where her lips met his skin.

"Buck! Sh-She's-"

Bucky blinked and suddenly recognized the feeling of a tongue licking his neck, falling against the neighboring steel wall and sliding down to the floor, careful not to disturb her unwittingly.

Her scent flooded his senses- sweet and fruity and reminding him of a spring day as spring began to transition to summer- making his dazed mind even more difficult to sort through.

He needed to think clearly and he couldn't do that while she drank from him, but something held him back from unlatching her- something that said he couldn't, that she needed him for this and that it was his duty as her mate.

He groaned and felt himself harden before he felt Steve rip her away.

She whimpered, her blue eyes distant and unseeing as his beta held her back with care.

He slowly came down from his high and tapped his hand against his neck to see a bit of blood slowly clotting.

He glanced at her as he fully returned to himself in shock as he realization struck.

She had fallen prone in Steve's arms, falling into a deep sleep, some of his blood still clinging to her chin.

"What is she?"

Bucky glanced at his beta.

"I don't know."

He suspected, but they needed to know for certain.

A whisper of Wanda's voice- "They called her a demon."

Bucky blew out a breath and stood carefully.

"Let's get back to the plane."

Clint piloted and the rest of the team surrounded him to discuss what they had found at the base.

The unnamed female had been laid to rest in the only rest area that plane had to offer, a small bed with heavy blankets. Steve had tucked her in and left her to sleep with Bucky watching her with a critical eye as she turned over in her sleep.

Her skin had made an immediate improvement, turning to a healthier shade of porcelain, her lips turning to a pale rose kissed pink.

They had left her alone at the back of the plane to sleep and Bucky was calm with the knoweledge that she wouldn't be awake for quite some time, or at least so he could guess by how distant her mind felt against his own as she slept.

"She drinks blood? I don't know, Cap- I wouldn't call her a demon, I'd call her a vampire." Clint sighed, scratching his stubbled jaw for a moment.

Sam pulled back from patching up Bucky's neck, "Where she bit you should have caused you to bleed out, especially if Steve ripped her off. But you're already nearly healed."

Wanda hummed as she dug through some of the files they had discovered, quieting abruptly as one caught her eye.

"It's all in German, but I think this file is about her."

Bucky took it from her and translated, "Operation Enchantress."

He skimmed the file for a few minutes, "It is her's, though it cuts off in 1969, when they introduced us."

He sighed, "She was declared too delicate for any field work after an experiment gone bad. They switched her onto Operation..."

He went silent as he read further into the file, horror rising up in him at what he found.

His expression must have shown as much.

"Is it really that bad?" Sam asked, brows furrowing in concern.

Bucky could sense Steve's worry as well and he stood from his seat, swallowing.

"I'm going to be sick."

He threw the file down on the chair and headed to the back to sit down.

God- they had... made her into an omega.

It had said she hadn't presented after the experiments they had done on her for the first operation- but they- God.

He ran a hand over his eyes in weariness.

His mind couldn't help but flash back to the memory Wanda had summoned- his mate's voiceless screams in the background as he unwrapped their young to see for himself.

He hadn't told Steve about it yet- couldn't bear to speak it aloud.

More memories were beginning to come forward as he traced the memories he had already recovered back- they had both been behaving strangely- omegas acted oddly as they prepared to give birth but he hadn't been able to leave her side but for a few minutes at a time and the higher ups had taken to delivering food to their room so he wouldn't deteriorate.

She had been a siren to his senses and he had done anything he thought he could to please her.

She hadn't been hard to please but still- that couldn't have been normal.

Steve approached him then, holding another file.

He sat down next to him and swallowed. "There's another one."

Bucky took it from him after a moment of silence.

He opened it up and scanned the documents that were written in plain english:

The asset has been providing the subject with sustenance. He shows signs of over aggression and a protectiveness not seen in other alphas. He shows signs of taking on the subject's alien qualities and we believe this will only continue should they be allowed to solidify the bond in full. We have introduced toxins designed to begin to sever the bond in the asset's food and believe the subject will take them in as well. We hope this does not affect the foetus but nonetheless we have been given direction to destroy the project that was originally designed for the foetus.

A later note:

The toxins do not appear to be working and the subject appears to grow more dependent on the asset then previous events have shown. We have been directed to immediately separate them as soon as the subject goes into labor.

Bucky crinkled the file in his hand before handing it back to Steve.

"Stevie..."

"I know, Buck. We'll figure it out."

A/N: Thanks for reading- please review/comment if you have the time, I really want to know what ya'll think! :)