Start Again

A/N: Hope you enjoy :)

Cassia blinked as she came to in a small hospital room, a crass beeping invading her senses and driving her into an immediate panic which only served to make the beeping grow louder and more frequent.

Her eyes flew open and light blinded her briefly as she tore off the monitors sticking to her fingertips and ripped out the IV in her arm.

A nurse came bolting into the room as Cassia stumbled off the bed and into the corner near the window.

It was the middle of the day and Cassia hissed as her eyes burned from contact with the sun for the first time in decades at least. Her hands shook as she clawed at her arms to tear off the tape and wires still clinging to her skin.

The nurse bolted back out of the room for more help and Cassia too the brief window of time to fly out the room in the blink of an eye. In moments she was down several flights of stairs and hiding in a darkened closet to gather her thoughts.

Her eyes still burned from sun exposure and her ears still rung from the beeping of the machines.

She hated machines, hated injections, hated anything medical.

Her head ached and she could feel her nose begin to bleed as she slid down to the floor of the closet. She was too weak to do anything, could barely think as her head pounded.

Her eyes were cast to the floor, glad for the darkness that calmed her.

She heard footsteps approach a few minutes later and she cast out her senses and caught the scent of the beta from before- from when they awakened her.

He stopped at the door and blew out a breath before opening the door.

Her eyes kept downcast until he sighed, "Why did you leave the clinic? You still need to be checked over to make sure you're alright."

She bit her lip before looking up at him, seeming to force him to a stop. For a moment they were silent until he was forced to blink.

He swallowed and held out a hand and she took it, bracing herself to stand.

Cassia was shaky on her feet for a moment, but he was patient and helped steady her. She smiled gently and he replied in kind, pulling her out of the closet and into bright light.

She grimaced and kept her eyes on the floors.

"What's wrong?" He asked and she focused on replying.

The light is too bright.

He was shocked by the sound of her voice in his mind but stilled for only a moment, "Well.. Let's just get you back to the clinic."

She shook her head passionately, No clinic.

He sighed, "Alright. No clinic."

He gripped her hand and pulled her to the elevator and took her up to his teams allotted quarters.

Wanda was the only one out in the living area and she quickly stood when they arrived. She was silent as she scanned Cassia with a bitten lower lip before blowing out a breath and forcing herself to relax.

"I...I'll get you some actual clothes."

Cassia glanced down to find herself in a thin hospital gown- it was better than nothing and better than what the scientists at the base had given her. The hospital gown preserved most of her modesty instead of the shoddy bra and panty she had worn during experiments, anyway.

They had given her a few pieces of clothing to wear for the rare occasions she wasn't being poked and prodded and she thought she had been wearing one of the two dresses she had owned before she woke up in the clinic.

The younger girl bolted from the room and reappeared two minutes later to find Cassia sitting in a chair with her legs tucked daintily beneath her, Steve having left the room to grab Bucky who was sleeping in their room.

Cassia gazed at Wanda with curiosity, Why are you so nervous?

Wanda blushed and handed her a dress, turning red as a beet when the blonde woman quickly undressed.

"Um-ah-uh..." She sputtered in mild shock.

Cassia changed into the proffered dress, slinking into it as the males re-entered the room to find Cassia cocking a brow at the gaping witch.

"Um..." Wanda breathed, holding out a heavy sweater that the blonde threw on with a smile.

Thank you...

"Wanda." Steve introduced and Cassia smiled softly.

Thank you, Wanda.

Cassia looked away from the redhead and at the two males, her smile leaving her face slowly.

Her mate's gaze never strayed from her and she slowly began to still like one of the wooden figurines that had lined her childhood bedroom's windowsill, apprehension filling her.

Steve blew out a breath, "Hey Wanda, let's go grab something to eat. Clint and Sam are probably in the mess."

Cassia caught the redhead flitting past her, looking grateful for the invitation and unwittingly clenched her hands before relaxing them.

Neither of them moved until the door to the apartments shut with a click.

Cassia blew out a breath, worrying her lower lip between her teeth. He barely breathed feet away from her and she wrapped her fingers in the thick sleeves of the sweater.

She wanted to know what he was thinking- needed to- but she wouldn't go digging in his mind without his permission.

She could feel him through the thinner bond- the one he was incapable of reciprocating as one of her kind could. On the more concentrated bond she could feel his intense anxiety and she knew she had to say something- anything- to break him out of it.

She opened her mouth just as he spoke, "What- what is your name?"

Cassia stiffened and swallowed.

You don't remember my name?

He tensed in return before forcing himself to relax, "No-I... Hydra has wiped me more than a dozen times since I saw you last."

Cassia Grace.

Her reply was soft and the lilt of her breathless words garnered her a nod, a brilliant flush lightening his cheeks.

He was irritated with himself and was a bit relieved to know she wasn't the only one to note just how uncomfortable their situation was.

"You already know my name?" he asked and she nodded.

I heard the others call you Bucky.

His eyes widened slightly and he stepped forward. His scent swam in the air between them and she quickly stopped breathing, thankful for one of her race's saving graces.

"I..." He trailed off, at a loss for words.

She found it endearing, though she knew how infuriating it could be to stumble over oneself. She swayed her weight to her right leg and if she could blush she would have as she spotted him stare at her for a few moments without speaking.

His expression was not judgemental per say, more appraising as he scanned her up and down.

It made her uncomfortable to be looked at so critically, but she said nothing to put an end to it.

She blew out a breath a minute later and he seemed to realize that he was staring at her, quickly looking away.

"A-ah, let's forget about the past two minutes..." He murmured, his eyes downcast as his hand rubbed the back of his neck.

She smiled, Sure.