XXIV

Y/N's POV
Word Count: 935

I furrowed my eyebrows and jolted upward at the feeling of someone vigorously punching my arm. "Huh?", I asked, groggily. "W-What time is it?"
Max was hovering above me. His pupils were dilated, shooting themselves in every direction he could manage. "You've got to get up, now!", he screamed. I ran my hands through my hair with a smug grin as I stood up and stretched. "This isn't a fucking game! Get up now!"
I rubbed my eyes as Max let out a hearty groan. Before I knew it, the boy had swooped me up onto his shoulders. He held me up by my legs. I shut my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel the pulses of each step he took. He was running.
But, I wanted sleep. I quickly blacked out once I got over the annoying jolts from Max's steps. Since I had lacked sleep the day before, I couldn't focus on the situation.
Max didn't fight me, he just let me fall asleep.

Max's POV

I finally made it to our little hiding spot in the woods. Should I let the brat sleep? I took a minute to admire Y/N when she was at peace. All of her features relaxed. Her normally anxious and petrified expression wasn't there anymore. "I guess I can let her sleep," I mumbled as I laid her onto the ground. "I think he won't get us, here. But if David gets too close, I'll have to wake your ass up, and we book it." I knew that she couldn't hear me, but I still talked to her anyway.
I sat down on my log and waited. Wish I could've told her what the Hell was even going on. But then again, she probably wouldn't have reacted well to being told that David was after me. I'd also have to take the time to explain how it all happened, too. Would she even understand?
I shook my head. I didn't have time to just dick around. We had to escape, and we had to escape now. If not, David will separate me from the rest of the camp. I liked being alone, but it also scared me.
Through a series of uneventful attempts, I finally was able to put Y/N back onto my shoulders. This little shit ain't fuckin' around, she's heavy. I let out a grunt and started walking.
If we continued walking straight, we'd eventually escape. And once we made it out, we'd still have a little over a month of summer left, and we wouldn't have to be separated.

After about eight minutes of walking, the weight of Y/N was starting to become unbearable. But, I couldn't just wake her up. I was already an ass to her, and I wasn't willing to make myself look any worse.
Each step started to become slower, more careful. I was so far away from camp that there was no way David would end up finding Y/N and I. But I wasn't in there clear yet.
Crack!
Shit. A fucking twig. I rolled my eyes and let out a low grumble. I continued walking. I still don't know if I'm even going the right way.

To my disbelief, through some trees, I could see a big lake. It wasn't Lake Lilac, though. It was bigger. I still don't think I'm close to town, though. As much as I wanted to stop by the lake, I felt like I had to keep going.
But my damn legs were burning. It was pulsing aches that spread throughout my entire body. Even though I knew I had to continue on, I was in too much pain to do so.
I found a cozy looking tree next to the pitch black water. I propped Y/N up under a tree and laid down beside her. They can't find us here. They're adults, but they don't have superpowers. It was around four in the morning, and I needed sleep just as much as she did.
The only logical thing that I could've done was just to throw in the towel and nap. Fuck it. With a sigh, I curled up next to Y/N and rested my head on her stomach. Her sluggish hand found its way to my hair. Every once in a while, the hand would move and twirl a strand of my hair.
Other than that, it felt like the whole world went silent. Silence was sometimes violent, but right now it felt perfect.
It was nice knowing the last thing I seen before falling asleep was the moon and its stars. There weren't very many stars out, but the few that I seen were very beautiful. The last thing that I touched was her hand, because it was one of the only things in this shitty world that I couldn't help but beg for.
Maybe it was wrong, to just leave camp. Maybe it was especially wrong to take take the little shit with me, but I couldn't have just left her. I needed her.
__________________________
A/N - This chapter was very weird. I don't know why, but it just didn't want to make its way onto the page and caused me a lot of troubles. If you got that weird "she didn't know what she was doing when she wrote this" vibe, that's why. It's one of my writer's block days, but the only way to get rid of it is to just write. Trust me, this is all building up to something. ☁️

 ☁️