Chapter Sixteen - Signs

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r s i x t e e n

{Signs}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

With the files Jayden gave me, I try my best to get as much information as possible off the internet. Although I'm not supposed to do personal stuff at work, it has been an incredibly slow day and I'd rather do this than sit here.

I haven't gotten very far. Especially since I'm not a relative or live in the same state the child was adopted in. But I gathered a list of adoption agencies and their contact information in the area Noah is from. It's small, but it's a start.

When it's time to go, instead of walking home, I head to the cemetery to visit my mother's stone. So much has happened within the past 48 hours, I'm trying to wrack my brain around everything.

A steady, warm breeze engulfs my body like a hug. The snow is melting, and the sun is peeking through the clouds, casting rays of light along the city. I can't help but smile and close my eyes, taking it all in. It's exactly what I've needed.

On my walk there, I stop in a quaint flower shop who has their door propped open, welcoming customers. I take my time looking around and then buy a small bouquet and continue toward the graveyard.

I smile when I reach her stone.

"Hi mama, I came to say hello and bring fresh flowers. I have a lot to tell you. You probably know already, but Marlee is pregnant. Isn't that insane? I'm still having a hard time believing it. She will be a mom, I will be an auntie and you'll be a grandmother. I also hope you haven't been watching what a wreck my love life has been. It's like those soap operas you used to watch while doing laundry," I snort at the memory. "I also haven't talked to dad. Marlee isn't planning on reaching out, even now that she's pregnant. I don't blame her. I know you always loved that one quote, 'when you forgive those who hurt you, you take away their power' but I don't have any fight left in me."

I look up at the bare swaying branches as my hair blows awry and exhale.

"I've tried to fight the feelings, but I like him, I really like Jayden. There is something about him that keeps me coming back. Maybe it's because he's not predictable; he's kind, feisty, and a gentleman. This is a stretch, but I feel like he knows pain as I do.

"All I ask is if he's the one, give me a sign. Anyway, I love you and I hope you're doing well. I'll come back and visit soon."

I hoist myself up and kiss my finger, pressing them against her name. And I walk to my apartment with a warm feeling in my chest.

I haven't felt this content in a while.

With a smile, I turn the corner to my apartment building and my heart flip-flops when I see Jayden sitting on the steps. His head droops low, one hand fists his hair. He appears deep in thought.

"Hey, stalker." I catch his attention and he looks up, an adorable smile pulls at his lips.

"Hey, sorry if it's a bad time. I tried calling, but I'm an impatient man." He holds up his phone and my face falters. I dig through my purse to find that it's dead.

"It must have died while I was walking home, sorry about that," I say. He tells me it's okay and I toss it back into my bag and shove my hands into my pockets.

"Anyway, it's such a nice day I was wondering if you wanted to take a walk?" he points at the street. A flutter of excitement moves through me, and I nod, taking my place beside him. I can't help but wonder if this is the sign I was asking for.