Chapter Thirty Two - Listen To The One Who Loves You

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h i r t y  t w o 

{Listen To The One Who Loves You}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

A thud sounds through the room when Jayden's briefcase comes in contact with the chestnut conference table. I inch my chair closer as his four colleagues take their seats.

I told Jayden I didn't have to come to his meeting, but he wanted me to be a part of the process; especially now that things are even more difficult. Ever since he received word that they canceled the hearing, we've been in non-stop work mode. I thought we already passed the possibility of a breaking point, but now I'm worried this might be it.

We were supposed to be at the hearing today, but instead, we're here.

"Thank you guys for being here," Jayden begins. "In front of you is a copy of the hearing cancellation and other important documents pertaining to the case." His colleagues pick up the papers, which I assume they've already read. Not long after, chatter starts. Ideas fly back and forth through the room as they try to figure out how to get another hearing.

If they didn't know about Jayden's child, they know now.

"Jayden," A man next to me speaks up. "You know why they threw this case out, because there isn't one in their eyes. If you want a chance, you're going to have to try this a different way."

Everyone slowly turns their attention toward this dark-haired, older man who was not afraid to state the truth.

Jayden sets his papers down on the table. Nodding once, he says, "I'm listening."

"The media, take your story to the public."

Conversation erupts in the room again. "When do we ever recommend that to clients?" A woman chimes in, appalled.

"Not usually, but think about it, they didn't let Jayden establish paternity which is the biggest piece of evidence he would've had. And it's almost been a decade since this child was born." He leans back in his chair. "To be honest, there are a lot of things going against you, but one thing that would be on your side is the public."

I watch everyone's expressions shift from apprehension to curiosity. This man has a point, what better way is there to get the court's attention than the media.

"I wish you would have come to us sooner about this. We could've pulled some strings for you."

Jayden shakes his head. "No, I don't want any special favors, just my child back."

The room grows quiet and I slip my hand under the table to hold his.

"I'm not saying this to hurt you Jayden, but you should've confided in us from the start instead of doing this alone. But I'm glad you have now because we're all going to do the best we can to help you." Everyone voices yes in agreement, and I can't help but smile. He needed this, he needed a team on his side. I hope it's not too late.

I stay quiet, watching from my seat as they talk out logistics. If Olivia mentioned Jayden on any important documents—other than the letter she sent— like insurance or medical forums that we don't know about, we need to find them.

There also isn't enough evidence to hold the Leeman's' accountable. The more we look at the case, the more we realize they did nothing blatantly illegal. They made sure they took the right precautions, even though they were not fair. Like putting a public notice in the paper looking for Ellie's birth father when in reality they knew who he was, and that he was in a different state and word would never reach him. However, the court can't do anything if someone acted morally wrong, it's sad but the truth.