Broken Things

This is for all my angst lovers out there. But fear not if you prefer happier oneshots! The ending to this is happy.

"Anything I can get you, (Y/N)?" the bartender, Tim, asked as he leaned on the counter.

"The strongest stuff you have." You slid onto the barstool in front of him and slumped, burrowing your head in your folded arms resting on the counter.

Noting his favorite customer wasn't her usual cheery self, Tim asked, "What's wrong?"

There was silence for a long moment as you decided whether or not to tell him. Eventually you muttered, "A friend."

"Friend troubles?" He nodded knowingly. "I understand. I'll get you my specialty, a Red Comet." He turned to prepare it.

He stood there, hand outstretched to grasp yours. You looked down at it before firmly grabbing it, shaking. "You must be Inspector (L/N)," he said.

"Yes I am," you said proudly. "And you?"

"My name is Connor, I'm the android sent by CyberLife."

You felt tears prick at the corner of your eyes. You met Connor on a field assignment; you still remembered the case: some drunk guy got a little wild and an android got involved, which is why Connor and his partner Hank Anderson came. The first thing you saw him do was lick blue blood, which overall is not the worst first encounter you've had with someone, but it did make you avoid him for the majority of your time at the scene.

The smile that had been forming on your face slowly slipped as another wave of tears threatened to break down the dam holding them back. No, you shouldn't think about him. But how could you do anything else? You breathed in shakily and closed your eyes. Drink to forget, just drink to forget.

"Here ya go." You heard the clink of glass being set on the wooden counter. You took the rum without a word as Tim watched. He was sure you would've downed the entire thing if you didn't have to cough. "Do you maybe...wanna talk about it?"

You wiped the alcohol from your lips. "No."

"'ight, but...don't drink too much. That's some strong stuff, you probably drank too much as is." He shuffled off to help another customer as you stared at the liquid in the glass.

Now you just had to wait for it to kick in.

"Inspector!" You perked at the sound of your favorite android calling for you.

"Wassup Con?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "Con?"

"Yeah, it's a nickname, a shortened version of your name."

"I don't understand. Why would you give me a nickname? Nicknames are only given to close friends and family."

"You're a good friend of mine, right Connor?" Your eyebrows rose. His LED flashed yellow for a second.

"You see me as a...friend?"

"You're around me more than your own partner, how couldn't I?" You grinned as he put a hand to his chin in thought.

"I suppose you are correct." He held out his hand and you took it gingerly, puzzled. "Inspector (Y/N), you are my first official friend."

"We don't need to shake hands, Connor."

"Is that not what humans do when they declare their friendship?"

Your hand met your face. "No."