Chapter 50 - The Confrontation

"Yes, that's me," Denton said as he resisted the urge to spin around and punch whoever was behind him in the face. He needed more information before he took action.

"I'm so glad that you could join us. If you don't mind, have a seat with the others on the couch. Please," the voice said and pressed what Denton assumed was a weapon of some sort harder into the back of his skull. "Oh, and no sudden movements, unless you want to die."

There it was, the threat. The person behind him was intent on killing. "All right, all right, no need for violence," Denton said and put his hands in the air to make it clear he was going to follow the instructions he received.

Denton slowly moved towards the left, the cold metal pressed against the back of his he walked. He rounded the u-shaped couch on the opposite side of the group of three already on the couch and almost froze when they all turned to face him. 

A shove from behind sent him flying straight towards Leah and Carter, seated on the couch. Their eyes widened, and they both raised their hands instinctively to protect themselves against Denton's incoming bulk. Denton couldn't stop his forward momentum and landed on top of them. They all collapsed on the couch in a pile as Leah let out a shriek in surprise. Behind them, the person with the gun laughed as the three untangled themselves. Denton muttered quiet apologies to both Leah and Carter, and a grabbed the hand offered by Jonythan. Back on his feet, he turned and faced his assailant and for the first time in his life stood face to face with his hero, Jarell Osprey.

Jarell had returned to a spot by the door, on the other side of the couch. He held an old-fashioned revolver in his hand, pointed straight at them. A grin appeared on his face as Denton made eye-contact with him. "I bet you weren't expecting me," he said and nodded towards Denton.

"Listen, Jarell, I'm not sure what's going on here, but I think it would be best if-"

"Don't tell me what's best," Jarell said, his voice raised and the barrel of the gun waved around for emphasis. "That ship already sailed."

"Jarell, please," Jonythan started, "I'll give you anything. I didn't know, I already told you that."

Jarell laughed. "Sure, sure, the powerful business tycoon with tentacles all over the universe didn't know about his son. That's what you're saying right? You realize how absurd that sounds, right?"

"I was different then."

"I don't think so. Selfish then, selfish now. You're thinking about your interests, nothing else. You don't even care about anything except yourself. You don't care about family, just your business."

"I know what I did was wrong. If I could go back and change it-"

"But you can't, so stop whining about it already," Jarell shouted. "What's done is done, and it's time to pay the price for your actions."

"Jarell," Denton started, "I'm not sure what you're planning here, but I'm sure we can figure something out."

Jarell laughed and walked over to a control panel on the wall. With the gun pointed directly at Denton, he pressed a couple of buttons. With a whir, the wall behind Denton slid open revealing a large panorama window. Floodlights came alive as Jarell flipped another switch. Denton gasped and stepped closer to the window to take in a view he had never seen before. At the upper edge of the window, just out of reach, a white, jagged layer of ice stretched into the distance as far as Denton could see. Below, an abyss extended beyond the range of the spotlights.

"What is this place?" Denton muttered to himself as he took in the view.

Behind him, Jarell laughed again. "Daddy dear, why don't you tell our guest more about the accommodations of this place?"