Chapter 59 - The End of the Road

Denton stared at the bank of servers that for the time being was the physical manifestation of Tanner while his hand squeezed the metal doorknob harder and harder.

"What do you mean, he's likely never waking up?"

"The information entered into the computer system by the resort physician, as well as the information feed from the equipment hooked up to the suspect, indicates that his injuries are such that it's unlikely he will ever wake up nor recover."

"But we need to interrogate him," Denton said and took a step towards the servers. "We need to get to the bottom of his plans. How else can we be sure he wasn't planning something else?"

"Although your dedication to your duty is exemplary, and I will point this out in my post-mission report, it doesn't change the fact that-"

"Post-mission report? Since when do you write post-mission reports?" Denton said as he walked towards the servers. The tech, watching the conversation, had retreated to a corner of the room.

"It is part of my protocols, as defined by those that created me, as well as by our Commander."

Denton glared at the servers. What else was going into that report? How many other times had some AI in the department written a report about his performance during a mission? What did they say? He forced himself to take a deep breath and reminded himself that he didn't break protocol. Usually. If he ever had, he felt confident his Captain would have wasted no time pulling him into his office to tell him so, face to face. Since that hadn't happened yet, maybe the report wasn't such a big deal after all.

"Would you like a copy?" Tanner asked, interrupting Denton's train of thought.

"A copy? Of what?"

"The report, of course."

"Oh. Yes, sure. It can't hurt to know what you're saying about me."

"Like I said-"

"Let's forget about the report, ok? I need to go see Jarell. Are we up and running remotely yet?"

"Yes, your implant is back online."

"Good. Hey Porter," Denton said and turned to the tech.

"Yes, sir?" he merely said and stood to attention.

"Thank you, again."

Porter smiled and nodded. "Of course."

"I'll leave you with Tanner for a bit while I go check on my other patient. Chat away."

"Of course, of course," Porter said with a grin and stepped up to the terminal by the server bank and took a seat.

"Tanner, can you locate Carter and tell him to meet me in the medical bay?"

Denton left the two techies behind and retraced his steps to the medical bay. He found Gabi and Leah standing by the observation window. They both turned as he walked through the door.

"How's Tanner?" Gabi asked as Denton joined them.

"He's back online, fortunately. Porter, the tech, managed to transfer him to the network, or something like that."

Gabi smiled weakly. "I'm glad to hear it."

"How about Jarell?" Denton said and gestured towards the hospital bed.

"He's not doing good. Doctor Fullerton hasn't said much, but I can tell from his demeanor that it's pretty tense in there."

Denton grunted and folded his arms across his chest. They didn't know he wasn't likely to wake up again. Would they care? Denton was unsure whether he should say something or try to get the official word from the doctor. Upsetting people close to him wasn't a thing he was especially fond of.