QUINCE

not long after practicing the baile, olivia and esperanza sat on the couch, talking about anything.

"no one is into this quince, including me. i need you to talk to ruby," olivia said, feeling helpless.

"y dile que?" esperanza said, not knowing what to say.

"that i want to call it off,"

"yeah, no thanks. you do it, it's your quince,"

"i can't. i've already broken his heart once. i can't do it again. but you can,"

esperanza leaned back into the couch, stuck between hurting olivia or breaking ruby's heart again.

"please, as my dama," olivia nearly begged.

"if we're calling it off, i'm no long your dama, you know?" esperanza said back, trying to lighten the mood.

"you are until it's over. here he comes. go!"

and with the push olivia gave, espy was up and walked up to ruby, mentally preparing herself.

"necesita a hablar contigo," esperanza said, messing with the rings on her fingers.

"oh, me too," ruby said, "do you think derek can get hold of a trailer that can hold a horse?"

"what? why?"

"well, i found a dancing horse in barstow, but i need to provide its transpo to and from the party,"

"okay, ruby. you literally became a quincecabra,"

"a what?"

"un monstruo! you're into this too much and it's driving us all crazy –"

"– and this is about cesar. i saw the way you looked at him when he was dancing with olivia. it's classic transference. you're mad at him, so you take it out on me,"

"no, no! no estoy enojada con cesar,"

"there it is again. 'i.' 'i' this and 'i' that. esperanza, this isn't about you. it's about olivia. you for to pit jealousy aside and stop being selfish. it's not a good look on you," ruby said as he began to walk away, "oh, and i'm still gonna need you to get that trailer."

sitting back down on the couch, esperanza let out a sigh, rubbing her face.

"so?" olivia questioned.

"ruby said he's getting you a horse," espy said, which made olivia ruby her temples.

⌑