Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Excuse me girls I..I'll be right back," Dane says with a small nod in Kate's direction for Emery. 
Emery's heart stutters at his disappearance but she knows she needs answers and on that note is grateful to Dane for giving her the opportunity to ask Kate about the 'secret'.

"So..Kate..." starts Emery unsure if she even wants to hear Kate's answers and so trying to delay the process.  

"Just ask me Emery," Kate grins. 
It had been clear to Kate of Emery's discomfort yesterday with her sat on the table; and now with Dane making excuses to leave, Kate knows Emery's probably going to ask her about her involvement with Dane Carter.

"Um..well, I was wondering...what's up with you and Dane?" breathes Emery forcing the last part of the question out with flaming cheeks. 

Kate just grin widens. She likes Emery. Before, whenever she'd talked to Dane, Charlotte would be biting off her head, for so much as standing within a 2 foot radius and she wasn't even his true mate. His true mate..she's embarrassed by her unnecessary jealousy and so is just so adorable confronting Kate. She really feels like laughing from her cuteness at that minute but refrains.

"Dane and I are friends, is that a problem?" Kate asks trying to see if she can ruffle up some of Emery's feathers. She wonders what the girl will do? She prepares for the whole 'stay away from my mate speech' but instead all she receives is a quiet, "oh." 

"But you two...share something...he said to ask you if I wanted to know...So um, if you don't mind me asking...what is it?" 

Kate clicks her tongue against her teeth and considers revealing her secret to Emery. Can she trust the girl? So far she's nothing like Kate had expected-in a good way.  

"It's a sensitive topic for me and you'd have to understand it's not something I want people knowing-" 
"It's fine Kate...If you can't tell me, I understand."

Kate blinks her eyes. Again, she can't help noting the vast differences between her new kind-of friend and her former best-friend. Charlotte, no doubt, would have pushed and pushed until Kate relented but Emery just...understands.  

"Promise not to tell anyone?" Kate eventually asks after a minute of silence passes between them.  
"Promise," grins Emery feeling more at ease with Kate today.  
"Okay...You have nothing to worry about with me and Dane because...well, I'm gay," whispers Kate looking around the cafeteria to see if anyone overheard.  

"Oh...that's....reassuring," breathes Emery nervously tightening her ponytail.
She feels like an idiot. Kate's gay. She's gay. And here Emery was worried about Dane and Kate being intimate and having sacrificed her sleep last night over nothing.

Kate regards Emery's silence with a dreaded feeling in her stomach. She shouldn't have said anything! Now Emery's probably going to avoid her or something.  
"When did you know?" Emery asks causing Kate to look at her in shock.
 What? No insults? Cold shoulder? Nothing? Thinks Kate. Even Emery's tone is normal. 

"Sorry..That was too personal, you don't have to tell me," Emery blushes. 
"Er no. It's fine..I'm just..a little shocked, that's all. You're a girl and um, I just thought you'd be running away or something," mutters Kate.  
"Why? You're not a monster...I mean, it's not like you're a..a..werewolf or anything," jokes Emery with a grin that gets a few giggles out of Kate. 
Playing along, Kate makes a horrified face. 

"No! Of course I'm not Ems!" she mocks with over dramatic shakes of her head.

 Laughing, Emery senses a warm melting feeling inside her as she realises Kate had just called her 'Ems' and that makes her feel as if she's finally found a friend.