Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The next day, Dane rings Charlotte. He has absolute faith that Charlotte must have been the one to make and send Emery that message. Why would anyone else do it? In fact who other than Charlotte would be so obsessed and crazy enough to do something ridiculous like that? Despite the obvious flaws in the accusation, like how she could have possibly made the recording, Dane's convinced it's her. 

"Dane!" answers Charlotte, her voice thick and smooth like honey. 

"What have you done? Actually, don't answer that, I know what you've done-"

"Um, what are you talking about Dane?" she interrupts with confusion.

"Don't lie to me Charlotte. You forget that I know you. You sent that recording to Emery, didn't you? Admit it!" Dane retaliates.

This time he's recording the conversation to prove to Emery that it was all Charlotte's doing, as soon as he gets her to confess that is. 

"Recording? Emery? Why would I send that bitch anything?" 

Dane takes in a breath. She sounds genuinely sincere, even down the part of calling her a 'bitch'.

"You know what I'm talking about! Stop lying. Okay, it's worked anyway! Thanks to you, Emery currently hates me-"

"And how is that my fault, Dane? Hate to say I told you so, but I did say she's whiny, pathetic and high maintenance; and now...guess she's proving it right. Face it Dane, you're better off without her. She's nothing but trouble-just look at the posters, listen to the people at school. She's not worth-"

"Charlotte? Shut. The. Fuck. Up," growls Dane, "I don't know how you did it but even if Emery is angry at me, I will always love her. And if you think this has broken us apart-"

"Ugh! For God's sake Dane, are you seriously blaming me for your break-up? And let me get this straight, you think it's me who did it? Well, excuse me, but not everything that goes pear-shaped in your dysfunctional relationship is my fault...." Charlotte sighs before carrying on in a softer tone, "I'm sorry about your break-up and I'll try keep my opinions to myself about it. Just know that if there's anything you need. A little comfort or just a shoulder to lean on, I'm here for you Dane. I love you. I always have and it breaks my heart seeing you upset so please, let me help you."

Dane slumps back speechless. He doesn't know what to say, at all. Charlotte's never been so nice and compassionate towards him. It's always been about her and every time they had been together he'd always felt like an object: A trophy for Charlotte to show her power and supremacy. He's always doubted that she could truly love him. But what she'd just said now...her tone...her words...it all just feels so real. So heartfelt and sincere that Dane can't help but believe the actress. 

"Okay...okay, maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm sorry for accusing you. I guess you really don't know what I'm talking about. But yeah, Emery and I are...having a slight issue and thank you for the support Charlotte but my heart belongs with Emery and always will."

On the other end Charlotte forces herself to keep her smile up while she fumes internally. After all of it, Dane still loves Emery! How is that possible?! How can he still love her after seeing her for the dirty bitch she is? Simmering down, she reasons with herself that he just needs a little more time to let the truth sink in. 

"But anyway, I'm sorry for calling. Bye Charlotte," drawls out Dane, head pounding as he tries to think of who could have done it.