|Six|

Nicole

*****

We arrived at the Airport in Georgia, and we're now in an SUV that Skyler had waiting for us. We're in the heart of Savannah, Georgia. It's absolutely beautiful here. The Historic District looked like we had stepped back in time.

So many of the houses had stories to tell, by just looking at them. They've seen a lot of events that took place in the history of the South.

It looks so quaint, with cobblestoned streets, shops, and parks. The majestic towering trees with moss on them are so indescribably beautiful. The trees are like giant skyscrapers, that line the streets on both sides. So green and commanding in their stateliness. Their branches bending over at the tippy top to touch the other trees.

Visitors milled about. The sky was an amazing blue, being adorned with brilliant white puffs floating along, peacefully.

I asked Skyler, "Can we stop and take a picture? I want to chronicle my journey, and make a scrapbook. Pretty please?" I gave him my most irresistible charming look with my bottom lip puckered, sweeping my eyebrows in a downward motion. It works on my auntie every time.

"Okay, just for a few minutes. I have an appointment to look at a house." He tapped on the beautiful watch on his wrist.

That look worked on him too, note to self. . . . I grabbed his hand and yanked him out of the car.

"Why don't you both get in the picture? Hand me your phones. Did you know Savannah has a reputation for romance?" The driver spoke up, winked at us, and held out his hand. I gave him my phone. Skyler shook his head and reached into his pocket to hand him his phone too. He didn't seem too happy about this. He was a little apprehensive, at first.

We stood in front of a beautiful fountain at a scenic park. Skyler put his arm around my waist, and I didn't expect to feel anything. I didn't even realize Savannah was known for its romance.

I've never been in love before—I've been in like, with a couple of boys and movie stars. I had a crush on a boy when I was in high school. I only saw him one time, but he made a huge impression on me. I was a freshman and he was most likely a senior. He was on the football team.

Flashback. . .

I was walking home one day after school. I held my books to my chest, walking outside near the football field. Some kids were teasing me, as they do to kids during their freshman year. They were calling me names and one bully type boy knocked all of my books out of my hand.

He barked at me. "Pick up those books, you clumsy freshman!" Then his friends joined in, covering their mouths as they laughed.

I bent down to gather up my books out of the mud, and my glasses fell from my face. I was so humiliated and alone.

An older boy with a broad build, came across the football field. "Is there a problem, Joe?" The unknown rescuer eyed him menacingly.

"No, we were just having a little fun." Joe shrugged his shoulders.

"Leave her alone!" All of the kids quickly scattered.

My rescuer proceeded to pick up my muddy books, and glasses. He wiped them off with his football jersey and handed them to me. "Here you are. What is your name?"

"Nicole," I simply stated as quiet as a whisper. My breathing became rapid and I was awed that he helped me. I don't think he heard me.

The coach blew his whistle and motioned for the boy to come back. "I gotta go. Maybe I'll see you around." He ran back to the football field, and I never got his name. He had the most beautiful piercing blue eyes. I never saw him again.