|Ten|

Skyler

*****

I arrived at Mimi Dunbar's house. I glanced at my watch with a satisfied grin on my lips. It was 12 noon, exactly. I quickly strode up the front porch steps, and rang the doorbell. I was met by Nicole's grandmother. She had an unreadable countenance and facial expression, as she reached for the screen door handle.

"Good afternoon, Skyler. How handsome you look today in your casual wear. I'm used to seeing you in a suit, and tie. Nicole isn't feeling well. She asked me to extend her apologies, for making you come out of your way." Mimi's eyes told another story.

Nicole's sister, April, rushed up to meet me at the door. "I'm still available to come along with you to meet your parents. So, it isn't a wasted trip after all." She put her arm in mine and smiled coyly, before I could utter a single breath.

"I'm so happy that April is able to fill in for Nicole. I'm sure your parents will be happy to meet one of the Dunbar sisters. Have a lovely time, dear. Your father and I will be gone for most of the day with Mimi." Nicole's stepmother entered the living room, with a cat that ate the canary grin on her face.

"May I ask what's wrong with, Nicole? She sounded fine this morning on the phone." I addressed my question to Mimi.

"She came down with stomach flu like symptoms, out of the blue. It was after breakfast." She answered me with concern apparent in her worried brown eyes.

"I wouldn't go near her right now, if I were you. Stomach flu's are contagious." June shuddered, and made a grossed out face.

"I'll call to check on her later. I'll let her rest for now. I guess we'll be on our way, my parents are waiting." I notified everyone with a disappointment in my voice.

I would miss Nicole, more than I thought.

April chattered away the whole ride to my parents hotel. I didn't have much to add to the conversation. I kept my eyes trained out of the window, most of the trip.

I was trying to piece together what really happened, and why Nicole decided not to come meet my parents. Why would she send her sister in her place?

I had to put my thoughts on hold. We pulled up in front of my parents luxury hotel. Time for an extremely awkward afternoon.

"There's my son." My mama threw her arms around my neck, like she hadn't seen me in years.

"Is this the Dunbar girl that was in the pictures with you on Facebook?" My mother squinted and narrowed her eyes, with a confused arch to her brow.

So, she did see those pictures of me and Nicole on Facebook and probably Instagram too. I chuckled under my breath.

"No, Mama the girl in the pictures with me is Nicole Dunbar. This is her sister, April Dunbar." I relayed to her.

"I went to pick up Nicole, and she was under the weather. April will be joining us instead." I was a little annoyed. I made these arrangements, with Nicole in mind, not her sister.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, April. I am Mrs. Pennington, and this is my husband, Mr. Pennington." My mother was very formal.

Usually she will offer their first names, Amelia and Beau. She tapped my father on the shoulder, and he extended his hand.

I jumped in the introductions. "Shall we be off to have lunch?" We headed toward the waiting car. My father walked with April. I strolled with my mother.

My mama cleared her throat and narrowed her eyes at me. "Why isn't Nicole here? I really wanted to meet her."

"How do you know so much about Nicole? I haven't said one word about her." My brows knitted together, perplexed.