|Nine|

Nicole

*****

I crawled out of my soft, deliciously comfortable butter colored bedding. I wasn't looking forward to facing my father, stepmother, and sister at breakfast. I couldn't wait to see Mimi's face.

She is such a breath of fresh air. Everyone else sucks the oxygen out of the room, and Mimi brings it back. She is my lifeline while here in this house.

I took my time in the shower. I let the water run down my hair and back, as I washed the shampoo out of my hair. I leaned both hands against the shower wall. And thought about what this day would bring. I got out and dried off. I tried to decide what I was going to do with my hair, and what to wear.

I was meeting Skyler's parents today. I wanted to make a good first impression. Even though they've probably seen my picture on Instagram or Facebook.

All of a sudden, that thought gave me a case of the giggles. I can just imagine the look on their faces seeing me and Skyler together, on the airplane and at that fountain in the park.

I know they were perplexed wondering who is this girl, with our son? And what happened to our son, Mr. Serious? He always wears such a pensive expression on his handsome stubbled face.

I don't picture Skyler being a real social media type of guy. He hardly had any pictures posted. He only had business related posts, and then me. I guess it would definitely look like we are dating.

He is so intent, but yet he has shown me his more vulnerable side. I've even seen his no-nonsense model face light up with beaming laughter.

He told me that now, I have him for a friend. Who would know he was so sweet? I will never forget the way he held me after I started crying a river. That was after I first met Mimi. He is so different than one would imagine. That's why they say, "Never judge a book by its cover."

I decided that I'd wear a soft yellow cap sleeved dress, with a pastel floral print. It was long and flowing. And some pretty white sandals on my pedicured feet.

I flat ironed my naturally curly long hair. And wore it straight with a part down the middle. I put on some make up, and rushed downstairs to join my family for breakfast.

"My, don't you look lovely Nicole." Mimi, complemented me while twirling me around to inspect every angle.

My cheeks grew rosy. "Thank you." I spoke bashfully.

April sneered at me. "Good morning. Where are you off to today?"

"I'm meeting Skyler's parents today. They are flying to Savannah this morning."

"Oh, maybe April can join you Nicole. We have to take care of business for the funeral with, Mimi. I'm sure she doesn't want to come with us, or be left alone at the house." My annoying stepmother added, with a chipper expression on her face and in her voice.

"Yes, it would be nice for you and your sister to bond." My dad chimed in trying to sound sincere.

April looked hopeful. I knew this was all about trying to get close to Skyler. No one had mentioned them being gone with Mimi when we all spoke last night. This was my calculating stepmother, and sister. What do I do now?

My sister put on the saddest face. "It would be so sad to go make funeral arrangements for Grandpa, and I definitely don't want to be left alone in this house. I would love to come with you to meet Skyler's parents. What a great idea, Mama."

She now wore a smile, when she was done with her fake speech.

"I actually didn't invite you to come April. It would be good to ask me, if you may come along. Skyler is only expecting me, not the two of us. I don't even know what type of transportation he has to pick me up." I let it be known, that she was not automatically invited to accompany me.