1. I'll Make You Better

(DEION)

"Hand me the paintbrush behind you, D," said James.

It was a pleasure to see things eaten, to see things whitened and changed. Up, down, up, down. I watched every stroke of paint change viciously as James painted over the wooden walls of the new house with the paintbrush in his fist, spitting its venomous titanium dioxide upon the texture of the wood. James tried his hardest to reach the very top of the wall where he struggled most. I watched him like a hawk in the sky up high. He was my prey. His hands were the hands of an amazing musical conductor, controlling the slightest note from an instrument.

His eyes were all white, with the thought of in need of a helping hand when he turned to look me in the eyes.

"Are you going to help me or not?" he said, sucking his teeth softly.

I grabbed another brush that was lying right side up by the very end of the other painted drywall. Its bristle brushes were already drenched in white paint. I could tell it was already used.

"Is this one okay?" I asked.

James turned his head around and nodded.

Before I could even pick up the bucket of white paint and cover up all the ruins of the wood's history, he tapped me and spoke.

"When are you going to give me a grandchild?"

Out of all the things in the world, he thinks about me giving him a grandchild.

" I don't know, James." I said, laughing at him.

"I'm turning old as mold here, Deion."

I giggled with him. My pocket began vibrating. I walked away from him, heading towards a quiet spot where I can speak however I pleased.

"Yeah?" I said as I waited for the other person on the line to speak.

"Deion! Come by! Come chill with the boys!" said my close friend Drew, sounding excited as hell on the other line.

I could hear the other guys popping bottles and screaming at the top of their lungs, quite jealous that they were having this much fun without me.

"The one time when I'm doing things you guys call for an intervention?"

Drew screamed louder on the other line while I put my index finger in my ear to stop the sting from damaging my hearing.

"Fuck yeah! Get your ass over here!" he screamed louder and hung up the phone. I walked out the empty bathroom and headed back to painting.

James looked at me.

"Go," he said.

"What? Go where?"

"Go hang with your friends."

"But what about the--" The look on his face made me hush myself up."James? You sure?"

"No worries; I got it. You've been out here all day."

I smiled at him and grabbed my hat, fleeing the scene, jumping into my car and heading to Drew's place.