Her Demon Prince chapter 11

Chapter 11

Phoebe sat on the corner of the bed to dress marveling at just how comfortable she felt with Agrat, considering how little she knew him. She gathered up her jeans, belt and tee-shirt, deciding to go commando after washing her underwear and hanging them on the heated towel rail to dry. How long could she go without a change of clothes? One day, maybe. Two max. She'd have to find something else to wear so she could wash the clothes she was in.

"Agrat, do you eat?" He lay on the bed near her, totally naked, his eyes hooded as he watched her slide into her jeans.

"Come closer and you'll find out."

Her stomach rumbled. "I mean food. Human food," she said, jumping up and dodging his hand as he grabbed for her to pull her back onto the bed.

"I can eat, but I recharge faster using the energy of my ancestors. They feed me with everything I need. Earth keeps me grounded. Wind gives the ability to move from one place to another with stealth. Water is cooling and calming, though sometimes I commanded it to surround my enemies in a surprise attack. Fire is my weapon of choice and the easiest for me to command. I was told that my mother, in extreme anger, would become a wall of fire. All would flee before her."

"I get that. I can cope when your eyes glow. Fire's scary. A wall of fire though? Eeep!"

"Do not fear, I have never done it." He smiled. "In answer to your question, I do not require food, but my men used to enjoy it when I ate with them after battle. As for drinking, after a day on the battlefield, I enjoyed ale."

"You and a whole lot of other guys," she said, her tone droll. "I've defrosted steak and packet vegetables. Do you think you would like to try some?"

"I'd prefer a bolt of lightning."

"You got that in the shower," she quipped. "You'll have to settle for steak now."

He stood and walked over to her, the sharp angles of his face relaxed, his body oozing repletion. Just one glance down and she realized his satiation point wouldn't last long. He didn't seem to have an off button, but from a guy who ate lightning for dinner that didn't surprise her.

She walked to the wardrobe, slid open the door and pulled out some clothes. "I've found these in the wardrobe for you. There's nothing in there for women unfortunately." She held out a pair of jeans, underpants that still had the label and a shirt. "There's a whole assortment of sizes in the wardrobe. I guess some informers don't bring a change of clothes. These are the biggest I could find. We have some basketball players in this country who are as tall as you."

His lips turned up into a smile as he took the jeans and shirt from her. "You wish me to dress as a man of your time?"

"If you plan to stay, you need to adopt our customs so you don't draw attention to yourself."

He stared at her, his dark-eyed gaze intent. "It is my pledge upon my life to stay, love and protect you forever."

Phoebe's hand moved to her heart and she could feel it pattering under her fingertips. "This is all so new, so very new." She knew her reply sounded on the edge of trite, but to say anything more was overwhelming. The thought that she could love this man was terrifying.

Agrat took her in his arms. "Not new. Old, ancient love. What you feel for me is in your memory; in your cells. Do not fight what you feel. You are mine." His lips were on hers and she kissed him back, her body molding to his as if it knew what to do. His lips were firm with possession and she sank into the kiss, her tongue grazing his. It felt so right, so normal to be in his arms.