Her Demon Prince Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Phoebe's eyes flickered open. She was in Rachael's apartment and a sword was pointed at her throat. A tidal wave of fear swooped over her. Yet under the drowning certainty that she was facing death, anger surged. "Coward! Look me in the eye when you kill me."

"This must be done," Galaden said, his voice stern, but his weapon tilted back slightly.

"You cold bastard, will you tell Rachael you slashed my throat in her apartment?" She knew his adoration of Rachael was his Achilles' heel, the only thing that raised what remained of humanity in him. It gave her seconds. With her growing strength giving her speed, she dodged the sword at her throat and pushed herself to her feet, scrabbling away from him.

Galaden blanched and stepped back at the mention of Rachael's name, but he kept his sword unsheathed.

A flash startled Phoebe. In the corner an angel with azure wings and silver tips appeared. "Father, stop!"

"I have made a vow, Cassiel. You know the penalty if I do not do this," Galaden said.

"Cassiel?" Phoebe thought of the small beatific child she'd just dreamed about. He was real. A live grown-up being. In maturity, he was almost as tall as his father but wider and stronger in build. He had the classical beauty of an angel but he appeared more vibrant and passionate, more human. His crystal-blue eyes flashed and his mouth was turned down.

"You'll have to kill me to get to her," Cassiel said. He stormed across the room and stood in front of her.

"I almost can't believe I'm seeing you." Which meant the dream she'd just had was true, too. Phoebe's heart hammered at the short reprieve from death. She stood behind Cassiel, trying to gather her wits. The heavenly scent of frankincense came from his wings and she longed to bury her hands in them to ground herself in her terror.

"I'm sorry you have to find out this way. I'm here to protect you," Cassiel said.

"Thank you, Cassiel." Words couldn't express the gratitude she was feeling at the moment. She was sure she was changing; she could feel renewed goddess strength running through her, but she couldn't defend herself against Galaden. She'd tried that and the angel had fought back using powers she couldn't block. He was too old a being, too dangerous for her to fight.

"You are my son," Galaden said, his eyes blazing. "You must do my will. I order you to stand aside."

Cassiel's whole body shuddered but he didn't move. "I've come to tell you that Rachael is dying. You've got to return her life-force. I can help heal her, but I need you by my side. I don't have your sort of power."

"I syphoned Phoebe's mind while she slept. She does not know where your mother resides. The demon has shielded her whereabouts from me." He raised his hand to a fist, clearly agitated. His wings flared, opened and closed, and he stalked backwards and forwards.

"I know where she is. I'll take you to her. Hurry, Father, there's little time."

Galaden stopped pacing. His gaze met Phoebe's, his eyes cold and steely, their pupils a pinprick. "Stand aside, Cassiel. It is time to do my duty to my father. Every cell in my body demands I act on the vow." His voice was ice.

Phoebe saw a tremor pass through the young angel as if he were fighting with himself, forcing his body to stay put. Deeply grateful for his protection, she raised her hand and put it on his shoulder. Love. She remembered the feeling from her dream. This was the angel child she'd adored as her own. His very presence was proof that her dream was not some strange fantasy implanted by Galaden. Cassiel's skin was warm, not cool like Galaden's. She could see his resolve in the firm set of his back as he faced off against his father. "I dreamed you raised Cassiel to love me, now you want to kill me in front of him. What an asshole you are," she said to Galaden.