Her Demon Prince 15

Chapter 15

Rachael felt Galaden's presence pulling her from her sleep. She could hear him calling her but she couldn't respond, couldn't even open her eyes to acknowledge him. Yet her soul stirred, just as it always did when he was near. Their sense of connection went bone deep. Was she still in Phoebe's apartment? She could hear the constant beep, beep, beep of a machine that didn't sound familiar. The air smelled of antiseptic and she became aware of the buzz of people talking in the distance.

She felt Galaden's hands cupping her face. The sweet smell of morning dew filled the air replacing the antiseptic odor as his soft feathers brushed her cheek.

"Rachael? My love, come back to me," Galaden said.

She tried to raise her hand to touch him but it lay there beside her leaden, yet her psychic acuity had returned. She could sense Galaden's dismay along with his adoration of her and she wanted to reach out to him.

"You gave me the gift of your life-force and I used it to save my life. I wish to return the little of your sweet essence I have left, but it may not be enough. I will gift you with my own life-force to make you strong."

A slight tingle vibrated on her cheeks and something warm and happy seemed to enter her body. She moaned as the sensation spread from his hands throughout her. She recognized her own essence returning, her strength and her love of life enclosed within it.

"She is awakening, Father." Rachael heard the happiness in the young, melodic voice and although she didn't recognize it, a yearning to see the owner of the voice twinged in her body.

"Try holding her hand. Use your healing powers on her like you did on me after you knocked me out," said another male voice, more gravelly and deep.

"You set my wings on fire, Daniel. Anyway, this has to be done slowly. Rachael's in a mortal body. She can't take healing energy fast like you do."

A warm hand took one of hers, the sensation different from Galaden's, the palm sending in a gentle, pulsing message that spread through her. There was love in the touch, so generous, so beautiful that she tightened her fingers around the hand as if it were a safety net.

"Open your eyes, Rachael," Galaden said.

Slowly, she focused on telling her eyelids to open and kept repeating the mantra until they finally did so.

"My darling," Galaden said.

She stared up into the angel's face. "Galaden," she whispered, the words no more than a croak.

"I'm so sorry," he said, taking her hand and bringing it to his lips.

The depth of misery in his gaze was deeper than she'd ever seen. "Don't be." She put her hand to his face and stroked his cheek, knowing that whatever happened she would be there for him.

"Rachael? How are you feeling?" another melodic voice called.

She turned. Confused, Rachael didn't recognize the man holding her other hand, yet she felt she should because in some way, he seemed familiar. She blinked and opened her eyes again. Then she saw the wings. Was she in heaven? He was an angel, similar to her beloved, Galaden, but shorter with the most incredible azure-colored wings, which didn't reach the floor like Galaden's, but had bright silver tips. She opened her lips to ask him who he was, but no words came out. Behind him stood another man who looked like Agrat but who had lighter coloring and, unlike the snarling countenance of the demon, he wore a large smile on his face.

"This is Cassiel, the son you bore me in your past life," Galaden said.

Confusion clouded Rachael. "I had a child?" And an angel child at that. The thought was surreal and grasping it was like trying to gather cobwebs. She put her hand on her heart. A son. Her son. And she didn't know him. To her eyes, he was chiseled and perfect like Galaden, yet there was something lighter in countenance about him.