Catherine- Starting Over

Chapter 5

Starting Over

As soon as I heard the engine die down, I knew she was already at her destination. Let's just say, i wasn't looking forward to being back, in this foster home anyway. I could already hear the loud cries from Becky (our guardian) screaming about my disappearance. Although it had been over a year since i had last seen anyone from around here, it was still apparent how nobody had forgotten about me. The little lost soul who ran away from her predicament. Typical. 

I was always the girl who ran away from her problems, it was easier that way, but i had never ran away once i met Catherine. I just wanted her and only her for the rest of my life. She kept me happy, in a strange trance that i couldn't seem to escape. If heaven was real, she'd be it. 

After everything that's happened, all didn't seem real to me. After spending so long on the streets, spending a night in a warm environment, fed, cleaned and cared for didn't seem ordinary to me. However, it didn't stop Catherine when she had managed to run me a bath, cook me something to eat and put cute little plasters on the opens of every cut she could reach. Of course, throughout that entire exchange, not once did we converse with each other. There wasn't much to share, yet there was so much to catch up on too. It was all so perplex.

Around an hour later of sleep, being confused, cold and frantic, i realized that this wasn't the foster home at all. I remembered when turning into the age of sixteen, the care home provide you with accommodation. Therefore, this must be her new home. It was small, yet cozy. The paintings hanging around, as well as the picture frames seemed to highlight Catherine’s underlying personality. Though, it didn’t scream out her entire soul. The living room walls were painted with a rich creamy color, while the rest of the room seemed to be covered. The couch was small, fitting only two people with a HD television placed against the far corner of the room; standing on a cabinet filled with her DVDs’ and books. I remember those books.

"There, that's the last one. You should be ok for now; we just have to keep cleaning those cuts of yours so they don't become infected." She mumbled, throwing the unwanted trash into the bin, not far away from the fireplace that she had lit to keep me warm. Being in the rain was not exactly glorious. It was cold, wet and very miserable indeed. 

When Catherine had brought me into the apartment, she instantaneously laid me down to rest until i felt less drained. I hadn't noticed how exhausted i was. After every step, climb and fall, everything had finally caught up to me. The perpetual journey was now over. It was too must to comprehend right now. Instead, I let fate take it's rightful place once more, leaving her here right now, taking care of me. 

I'm trying so hard to come up with words, just something to say to her. There should be countless things to bring up after so long of being apart. Perhaps mentioning where i went, what happened to me, who i met and how i got home. Still, there's always the second option of sitting here unspoken until she comes up with the questions herself. 

"So..." She yawned, filling the silence as she returned to the couch where i was laying peacefully. My feet were half hanging over the edge where she was sitting just a moment ago, gluing up the broken mess i had caused upon them. 

"So...” I repeated, nudging my head into the crook of the cushion behind me. I watched as her eyes darted towards mine, as if remembering my existence, before settling her eyes on the vacant TV in front of us. Mmm she took the easy way out. She couldn’t even look me in the eyes. Damn, i guess i should start apologizing. The whole, 'hey I’m sorry for leaving...' charade. Even so, it was her who went first. Brave.

"What happened to you Tay? One minute were laughing on a hill about life, the next i'm crying down the phone to Brendan because my so called best friend has left, and couldn't even be concerned to say goodbye, or even leave me a note. Some type of reassurance of your safety or whereabouts. I was worried sick about you, searching the god damn streets at four in the morning hoping to find you. You have no idea what kind of images flashed into my mind when i thought about all the possible reasons to why you hadn't gone home to Jill. She was so upset Taylor. I was petrified. How could you do this? You said if you ever left you'd come back. I didn't expect it to take so long. I guess i'm not as important to you as you said." Here we go, the repeated infliction of pain and suffer she's faced since i left. I knew she was going to explode at any second. In fact, i deserve every single bullet she shoots my way. Until her next line shot me right in the heart.