Chapter 16

*Unedited*

Next day morning, Luke called his lawyer and asked him to come to his office immediately.

"Have a seat." Mr. Hyde could sense Luke's anger as soon as he entered his office. He sat down, looking at him with slight caution.

"What is this?" Luke threw the postnuptial papers across the table towards his lawyer.

Mr. Hyde took in the papers. "I'm sorry, Mr. Salvay. Did I make a mistake?"

"Mistake? Yes...a big one, Mr. Hyde. But first of all, I have a couple of questions." He straightened his back and placed both his hands on the table, interlacing his fingers. "First question, were you the one to prepare these papers?"

"Y-yes, Mr. Salvay."

"Good. Second question, did you send that contract at my house?"

"Sir I-" Mr. Hyde started explaining himself but Luke didn't need an explanation.

"It's a simple questioned and I want it to be answered in a yes or a no." He said, interrupting him. "Did you or did you not send that contract to my house?"

"Yes, Mr. Salvay." The lawyer admitted.

Luke put both his hand's fingertips on the table and slowly stood up from his chair. "In that case, Mr. Hyde, find a new job." The lawyer's eyes widened and he shook his head. "You are fired." His voice was low pitched but it held an undercurrent of threat.

"No sir I didn't-" He started.

"You didn't what?! On whose instructions did you send a contract like that to my wife?!" Luke's angry shout could be heard through his office door. Outside, his employees stopped working to glance at the door while wondering what had gotten their boss in such a sour mood.

Mr. Hyde stood up as well. "I did it on your instructions of course, sir."

"My instructions?" He growled. "You dare lie to me? When did I ask you to do any such thing?!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Salvay but I was told that you had requested that contract to be ready immediately."

"And you didn't bother talking directly to me about it? Who told you that I asked for that contract anyway?" Luke looked at him like he was a mad man. He was angry that his lawyer had taken such a step without even talking to him. Who the hell was he to take steps like that?

"It was your brother, Ethan." Luke stared at him, trying to hide his shock. He looked at him carefully but Mr. Hyde didn't blink, fidget, gulp or show any other signs of nervousness. In fact, his eyes remained trained on him and Luke realized that the man was saying the truth.

He took a deep breath and stood straight. "When exactly did he come to you?" He questioned, feeling confused, hoping that there was no truth to it. Maybe Mr. Hyde was mistaken. Maybe it was someone else.

"The day before you left for Aspen."

It wasn't making any sense, Luke thought. He had spent the past couple of days with Ethan around most of the time. In fact, Ethan had come to see him in his office the very same day on which Mr. Hyde claims to have been told to draw up the contract.

Luke tried thinking of anything wrong with his brother's behavior that day. He hadn't done anything out of the ordinary. Except for...except for bringing paperwork to his office for signature when it was clearly Luke's assistant's job. As far as he remembered, Ethan had never done anything like that before.

If what Mr. Hyde was saying was the truth, then it is possible that Ethan sneaked in the contract along with the other documents for him to sign. That would explain Luke's signature on it.