Chapter 8

I woke alone again, annoyed that Alaric didn't wake me. Pushing open the lid, I climbed out and pulled on my dressing gown. Padding quietly through the lounge room, I found Alaric in the dining room again.

"Afternoon."

Alaric lowered the newspaper, watching me as I moved to the end of the table. The paper was folded and set aside in favor of pulling me onto his lap. Sitting astride him, I toyed with the waistband rope that was tied off just under his navel.

"Silas is learning how to make breakfast, I hope you're feeling brave."

I chuckled, looking down as his fingers pulled open the knot and slowly peeling the sides of my dressing gown away.

"I happened to note that you are quite a good kisser Emmeline yet my research says that you're only eighteen and have lived a life in the government run all girl's orphanage."

His gaze lifted as the satin material fell over my shoulders.

"Anything you wish to tell me?"

I nodded, barely restraining the grin.

"When we turned sixteen, they started educating us on what was expected of us when we turned eighteen. Lots of lessons about having babies and doing what's right for the human population. And of course, how to please our man. So sexist."

Alaric nodded, pretending that he was sympathetic. I didn't believe him so I stuck a finger in between his ribs. He howled with laughter and mocked his pain, rubbing the sore spot.

"We knew that the time was coming when we had to leave the place. Between the forms for registering to become a breeder and the medical certificates, they also searched for temporary accommodation that we could live in until the government assigned our mates. Then we'd have to find something to house those bundles of joy."

I'd only been in the apartment a few months but I'd grown to like it. Of course, it was nothing like this oversized monstrosity but it was good enough for me.

"After lights out, we always talked about the lessons and the future. I'd already told them what happened to my mother and they all thought it was because she didn't know how to be pleasing. So sexist."

"What happened to your mother?"

"I thought you researched and stalked. What's the matter, realizing that you didn't check everything?"

He nodded, pressing his lips tight as he thought about it.

"After I was born, my father ditched her and my mother was heartbroken. She left me in the hospital and walked out into the night. The hospital contacted my father and according to the records that the orphanage kept, he told the nurse that he wasn't interested. He'd done his duty for the breeding program and he was on his way to enlist for the front line. He was listed as dead a few months later. So, anyway that kind of set it in their mind that the lessons about pleasing their man were important and there was a need to make sure we knew how."

"Oh my god, you didn't."

"We did."

Alaric sniggered, his hands moving onto my thighs to stop me from sliding down his lap. The shift in the movement was enough to reveal that he liked the thought of a little girl on girl action.

"So, we practiced kissing each other."

"Damn." He crooned.

"And we changed a lot to ensure variety."

"Be still my beating heart."

His hand slapped to his chest, the grin on his face was broad.