Chapter 14

Ilsen pulled out a folder, giving it to Alaric.

"What's this?" He grumped as he opened the cover.

To say that he was in a bad mood about Ilsen's assessment of our relationship was accurate. We weren't making the charade believable and it was annoying to me too.

"That is the information that Hendrick gathered about Emmeline. As soon as she appeared, he wanted to know every little thing he could."

Alaric pulled out the birth records from the hospital, I'd already seen it because I had to have it for the doctor's clearance.

"So, her parents were government assigned breeders, both of them openly protested about being forced into it. We found many letters from them and file notes about incidents where they complained. It was noted that not only did they despise the process and the compulsory breeding but they also didn't like each other."

"Didn't you say that your mother was heartbroken that your father walked out?"

"Yeah," I said, a little confused. "At least, that's what I was told."

"That's probably someone's take on the situation or perhaps creating a lie to ensure that you didn't delve too deep. After all, the hospital let your mother walk out into the night, not a single care was given. Something that you need to think about, your mother hated the system, that much was obvious. She was very vocal about it and it probably annoyed a few people. I'm not suggesting that it is what happened but it is entirely possible that she was taken out intentionally. The government wants mothers to be pro-war, pro-breeding center. Another thought is that she was hiding something, perhaps they both were. There is a letter in there where your father stated many things that were very anti-war. If he was so opposed to the war, why did he enlist?"

Yes, why indeed.

"What this proves is that nothing about your entry into this world makes sense. Another thing to note, before your parents were forcibly entered into the program, there are no notations of them anywhere. It's like they appeared one day and the government found them."

"Is it possible that they weren't human?" Silas asked. "And that's the reason they were so opposed to the program?"

"They knew the government would find out," Nisha said quietly.

All eyes swung to me like they believed I would have the answer.

"I think that after the efforts in the bathroom, we can all agree that Emmeline is something more than a basic human." Silas offered as he looked up from the document he'd begun to read. "It might be the hormones the government is pumping into the water, it might be something entirely different. Maybe there is a third species of higher mammal on this dead rock."

"Is that possible?"

Silas shrugged.

"Anything is possible. Unless someone raises their hand and says look at me, we will not know."

"What's in that box?"

Nisha bit her lip, glancing at Alaric.

"Our mother's wedding dress. We brought it out because Ilsen said that if you want to convince the leaders that this is legitimate then you should marry."

"I can find a priest, we can have the service done in the afternoon tomorrow. The finer details do not need to be offered, just that the service has happened."

"Can't we just stick a ring on my finger?"

"You cannot legally wear the crown if you are not married legitimately," He offered. "If you want things to pass without issue then you need to do it correctly."