Chapter 18

I scowled at the suggestion that was laying on the bed. Nisha's hands went to her hips with her own disgust.

"Come on Emme, it's fine."

"This is not a fashion show."

"Yes, it is."

"Seriously?"

Her lips pressed tight as she nodded.

"Money, lots and lots of it. That's what we're trying to show here. You walk into that place in your ripped jeans and dirty boots and they're going to order a financial investigation into this province. Ilsen has gone to a lot of effort to provide a false view of this place, don't make all his hard work be worthless."

"Fine." I sighed.

"Great. Put that on."

She gestured to the white dress that was hanging on a hook in the dressing room.

"Don't you think it's weird for me to wear your mother's dress?"

"Honestly? No. If she were alive, she'd be honored to see you in it."

I looked at Nisha and wondered how she'd know that considering that her mother died within minutes of her being born. She shrugged with a grim smile.

"Silas said it."

"But what about you and Alaric?"

"I don't care. What I want is my family ruling this province and if that means that you wear a dead woman's wedding dress down the aisle then so be it. As for Alaric, I don't think he'd care either. He probably wouldn't even know if no one said anything."

Still didn't make it any easier. I said nothing and walked into the dressing room. Removing the dressing gown, I stood in the pretty white underwear that had been bought for this event and pulled the dress off the hanger.

The sleeveless dress was a simple outfit that hugged my body, reaching the floor. It was soft, a beautiful material that felt luxurious. Nisha walked in with the box, dumping it on the dresser. That other box was sitting on it.

"I didn't think I could wear it unless I was queen."

"Technically, neither of you can wear the crowns until the leaders agree to the validity of the claim but they can stick their rules up their asses. Sit down."

Pulling the back of the skirt under my legs, I sat down and watched Nisha in the mirror in front of me. She'd already been at me today. As soon as I was awake, I was ordered into this chair to have curlers put into my hair. I didn't see the point in this but I was told in no uncertain terms that it had to be done properly. Nisha liked to pick which rules she obeyed and the ones that she didn't like were ignored. Aside from that, the reality of today was that this was a wedding, something that we'd do once. And, Alaric would rule this province. When the vampires in this area were united again, they'd look to their leader and perhaps want to know more about him.

When Nisha was done pulling the curls into an elegant bun, she nestled the crown on my head and pinned the veil into place. The crown was only small, a delicate piece that was pretty. It was all they had too. There was no extravagance, no multiple crowns or tiaras for different occasions.

"I'm going to get ready. Ten minutes, okay?"

I nodded, watching as she smiled and turned out of the dressing room. My gaze turned back to the view in the mirror. This was something that I'd never dreamed of. Breeders did not marry. We were taught about weddings but it was in the historical sense. The concept of marrying a person was set aside for the greater good of the human race.