Say Goodbye to Yesterday Chapter 1

"How come we had to come along?" Jonny asked, slumping against the leather seat of the limo. His typical black shirt and jeans were slightly crumpled and Benton suspected his son might have slept in them.

"Because we were invited." He hadn't traveled much since his wife's death and he normally enjoyed attending conferences. They presented opportunities to mingle with his fellow scientists and discuss new ideas or theories.

"So this is New York City." Hadji gazed out the window his amazed expression bringing a smile to his adoptive father's lips. It never bothered him the boy liked to dress as he had in India.

"Yeah, it is." Race glanced at him before focusing his attention on the boy.

"Who was it you said you spoke to?" He asked his friend and body guard. In the background he could hear cars honking and a few loud conversations.

"Marari Collins Pryor. Said she was with the Phoenix Foundation."

Inwardly he groaned. Phoenix, located somewhere in LA was run by Matilda Webber. A tough woman he admired and sometimes hated at the same time. He'd worked on several projects with them as a consultant and wondered exactly what type of agency they actually were.

"Don't worry, Doc. Ms. Pryor is very good at her job."

"I hope so." He didn't want to have to worry about the boys getting into trouble. "You brought their school books?"

Jonny gave him a dirty look. Hadji kept looking out the window.

"Got it covered," Race assured him.

The limo stopped and driver got out, opening the door for them. To Benton it was a typical hotel with a rotating glass door and very tall with many windows, some of which might give a give view of the city. A doorman waited, unloading their luggage and placing it on a rack. They followed him inside to the check in desk where they received a warm smile from young man waiting at the gleaming wooden desk.

"Welcome Dr. Quest."

"Thank you."

"We understand you're here for the conference."

"I am." He knew the pleasant conversation offered was part of their customer service and he had no reason to begrudge the man in the dark blue suit any malice.

As he turned, he noticed a woman come down the carpeted stairs, wearing a simple green and blue dress with silver moon shaped earrings and matching necklace.

"You must be Race Bannon." She greeted his bodyguard with a smile. "We spoke on the phone."

"Hello, Ms. Pryor. Nice to meet you in person."

Benton hid his grin behind his hand. The smile Race gave the woman he'd used numerous times and it normally secured him a date.

"And you as well." Her eyes flicked over the boys and focused on him. "You have to be Dr. Benton Quest. I've heard a great deal about you."

"Thank you for arranging this."

"Part of my job," she returned. "I discovered there's a game room here, boys."

Both boys perked up.

"Really?" Jonny sounded like it was too much to hope for.

"When I heard you were coming, I'd thought I'd make sure you had some fun as well."

Jonny grinned, his happiness reflected in his blue eyes. Benton swallowed as it reminded him of his wife.

"Looks like you're all checked in. Social hour starts at seven and the banquet at eight. Programming in the morning begins at around nine."