Chapter 6

JULIA'S POINT OF VIEW:

The dream still fresh in my mind, I gasp for air, even though I'm in no danger of suffocating. I can still remember Henley's brother's last words to me: Give up. But then, I also remember my last words to him: I won't.

I'm afraid; I can't deny myself that. So much could go wrong so easily if this turns out badly. But I also know that after everything I've been through, all the trials I've faced in life, I've made it this far. There's a reason I'm not dead, so my destiny isn't finished yet.

I glance over at a clock that hangs on the wall, and it reads 5:15 am. Groggily getting up and stretching my aching muscles, I take in a deep breath as I prepare for the long journey ahead today.

I run up to my room and pack a duffle bag for myself, stuffing in countless pairs of jeans, sweaters, and coats. Autumn may be the current season, but winter is brewing on our horizon.

Once I finish with that, I bundle up for the trip ahead: my favorite blue coat, jeans, and an old pair of hiking boots. Looking in my mirror, I pull my hair out of my face while leaving a few short strange hang down.

As I look at myself, I begin to see the small changes that I've failed notice in myself until now. My once caramel colored hair has gotten darker, possibly the darkest shade of brown before it counts as the color black. My skin got even tanner despite the fact that I don't like being in the sun. And my green eyes got greener, a color that even the color wheel cannot define. My small frame is gone, and I've grown a couple of inches. I see myself no longer as an insecure teenager, but rather a young adult.

I grab my duffle bag and head downstairs, ready to head out before I remember one last thing.

The ignited shards of glass still burn bright in the fireplace, illuminating the living room with light and warmth. It's almost a shame to put it out, something that burns with such brightness and passion.

I pour some water on the flames to douse them, the sizzling noise of the water absorbed into the heat replacing the crackling of the flames. Everything has something more powerful to cancel it out.

Gathering myself, I open the door and head out to a new world.

***************************

It takes about five minutes of walking before Cassia catches up with me, and she's out of breath from running. "You're late," I tease her as she tries to catch her breath. "Oh hush," she says back.

Cassia has her blonde hair loose and flowing, setting off her bright blue eyes. She wears an old pair of jeans and a warm red coat, and a duffle bag slung over her shoulders. "You ready?" I ask her when she's recovered. "Let's go," she says in response.

We walk for about twenty more minutes past countless houses before I stop at a particular one. All the homes are the same in this society, which is something we haven't changed since the Council last ruled. But even still, I know who the home belongs to as I search for any movement inside. But when nothing happens, my heart begins to sink.

"I don't think Peter's coming. Let's just keep moving," I say to Cassia. I drop my head and drag my feet, hoping that maybe he's just late and I'm buying him some time. But by then, Cassia's ushering me forward due to my slow pace.

And just when I've given up, Peter always seems to prove me wrong. I hear a door open and close, and I turn around. There he stands, his brown eyes finding mine and smiling at me.

"Thought I'd let you do this on your own, did you?" He teases me as he walks forward. "Yes," I admit as I wait for him to catch up.

"Well," he begins as he comes to my side, "stop making improper assumptions." I feel him reach for my hand and I lace my fingers through his as we catch up with Cassia.

"Tell me you guys aren't going to be like this the whole way there," Cassia pleads as she rolls her eyes. But I just laugh.

**************************

When we've finally made it to the outskirts of the city and the beginning of the forrest, I turn around and take one last look.

This place has been my home, and I've fought to protect it and its citizens. But here I stand, about to leave it not knowing if I'll make it back. So I create a memory, one last image, of my city to have with me. Then, I face forward and begin to walk again.

"Wait!" I hear someone call out. We all turn around and look behind us, only to see a glint of red hair and a very tall person running toward us with a backpack on his shoulders.

"Good morning, Adam," I say in a flat voice, still bitter with him about what he said to me yesterday. "I thought about that fight we had and the letter you showed me. I was up all night tossing and turning over the idea, but I've come to the conclusion that you're right," Adam says to me.

Baffled by what he just said, I have to reconfirm it. "What was that? I'm right?" I laugh. "How do those words taste coming out of your mouth?" I add, really pushing his patience.

"Like vinegar," he admits. "But no matter, you're right. We can't wait around for Henley to attack if she decides to; we have to get to her before she has the chance to get to us. It's the only way for us to keep the society safe," he says.

"But Adam, you're the Leader; you can't just leave the people without someone to look to," Cassia ventures. "I left my sisters in charge until I return. The mission, I hope, is a simple one: capture Henley and bring her back here before we can cause any trouble," Adam says.

I just shake my head at his words. "I had a dream about Henley's brother and his society last night. I have a feeling that this will be more complicated than anything we've faced before."