Chapter 16

Julia's point of view:

By 10:00, the sun had long since abandoned us, leaving us with a thunderstorm in its wake.

Rain falls down upon us, soaking me to the bone and sending shivers down my back. The small wet drops collect on my face and fall down my cheeks, almost like the tears that have yet to be shed.

It's pitch black outside tonight, the moon being blocked out by the angry clouds of the storm. The only light we have comes from flashes of lightening, thunder being its companion as it booms across the city.

We march through the storm to the execution area, the sound of boots trudging through the slop of mud and puddles.

Children all around me cling to their mothers and fathers, unaware of what is about to happen and terrified by the thunder. Some parents try to comfort them, but others simply ignore them, having already abandoned hope. Even if most of the people in this society can't feel, I sure do feel for them.

I reach for Peter's hand in the darkness, not needing to look for him because I know he's right here. My fingers lock around his, and he gives my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"It's ok," he whispers. "The plan is simple."

No, it isn't, I think to myself. Nothing is simple anymore.

"AGAINST THE WALL!" A policeman yells at us, and we all press our backs against the hard cement.

A plethora of officers come forth and face us, thousands of them. One cop per each person in the society.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask the policeman facing me. "SILENCE!" He booms. "Why are you doing this?" I ask again. "We have orders! Now quiet!" He demands of me.

I look up at one of the watchtowers and see Henley and Will perched like vultures up inside them, ready to swoop down and devour us. Jacqueline didn't see the need in disguising us, so I glare up at Henley, hoping she can see my green eyes from up there.

"Arm yourselves!" Will yells from the tower.

In perfect synchronization, the cops pull out a handgun and press it to everyone's forehead, the cold metal burning my skin.

"You may all be wondering why we've chosen to eliminate every citizen tonight," Will says to us, and I role my eyes. Of course he would choose this moment to monologue.

"Simply stated, it's time for something big to happen, something you brainless fools don't have the capacity to understand. My sister and I are leaving soon, and I can't be bothered with my society's baggage anymore. Here are your memories, your emotions, your color. Have it back, but you won't posses it for long," Will announces as he throws an orb of light out of the tower. It explodes into thousands of tiny pieces when it hits the ground, and each piece floats towards the citizens, being absorbed by them instantly on the spot.

Their are gasps, sounds of joy and sounds of fright. These people have no idea what they're seeing, some wondering how they got here.

And so, I choose this moment to put the plan in motion.

I take Peter's hand in my right and Cassia's in my left. Peter joins hands with the other person on his side, and Cassia does the same.

Down the line, back and back, people begin to join hands until everyone has their fingers locked together.

Ok Adam, here goes nothing. You've either saved us all or killed us all.

"Execute!" Henley yells from the watchtower, and I take in a deep breath as the guns go off.