Chapter 27

Cassia's point of view:

My life is defined in the moment by flashes, split-second images by what I manage to glimpse unfolding around me. The soot-covered snow, the angry red of the fire, and the hatred in the eyes of everyone going up against us.

One would think that Henley learned her lesson three years ago after her shamefully embarrassing defeat, but I suppose that she'll never give up until she gets what she wants. But the question is, what exactly does she want?

How many more people must die for this? How many more people have to live in fear for this? Will it ever end?

A scream to the left of me makes me turn around, only to see one of our policemen fall victim at the hands of one of Henley's men.

Instinct takes over as I try to run for him, to try and save him, but someone catches my lab coat from behind, pulling me away.

"Hey! Let go!" I yell as I turn to face whoever holds me hostage, but when I see this person's face, my throat closes up and I can't remember what breathing feels like.

A boy looks down at me, his face so hard-set that I wonder if he knows how to smile. His skin is a bronze shade of tan, and he has golden brown hair that brushes just past the hairline of his forehead. Blue eyes saying a million things at once pour into me, so bright that they make me feel as though I'm diving face-first into crystal clear seas.

His beautiful face makes me distrust him immediately, even before I notice the insignia of Henley's police badge on his uniform.

"Let go of me," I snarl, finding my voice again as I try to shake his grasp off of me.

"Don't ask questions, just come with me," he says as he tries to drag me away from the fight.

"What is wrong with you? I said let go of me you...you combatant," I yell, using the only word I can think of to describe him.

Surprisingly enough, he does know how to smile, for he laughs at my weak attempt at an insult. "Combatant. That's quite a word," he says, dragging me away as I fail miserably trying to get away from him.

"Could you please refrain from trying to run away? I'm one of the good guys," he tells me.

"Oh really? Because you look unfortunately like one of the bad guys," I say, gesturing to his uniform.

"You people really need to learn how to trust. Now follow me, I have important information," he says, pulling me away from everyone else and dragging me away to a nearby alley.

"Help! I'm being kidnapped!" I try yelling out, but nobody even turns my way, too enveloped with killing each other.

"Help me-" I try shouting out, but he clamps his hand over my mouth, preventing me from finishing my sentence.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he whispers in an oddly calming voice, finally causing me to stop fighting and listen to what he has to say.

He walks me down the alley, where the shadows would prevent anyone from seeing us.

"Is this the part when I find out you don't really have any important information and you kill me?" I ask.

But he just laughs, like he thinks I was making a joke. "No. There's something you and all of your friends need to know, Cassia," he says.

My eyes widen a bit as I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "How do you know my name?" I ask.

"Will and Henley made sure everyone was fully informed of their main targets. They included you, Adam, Kyle, Susan, Julia, and Peter. That's how I know you," he says.

I roll my eyes and look down. "Yeah, that sounds like Henley," I say under my breath.

"You have to know why Henley came here today, and it's not for the reason you might think. She wants Peter," he tells me.

I look up at him, wondering if he knows what he's talking about. "Wait, why Peter? Julia's always been the one she wanted," I say.

"Henley knows she can't get to Julia unless she gets to Peter first. It's like this cat and mouse trap that she's got perfectly planned in her head. Peter's the bait, but once Henley's got him, he's also going to be the trap," the boy says.

"I...I don't understand," I say in disbelief, trying to piece together whatever Henley's new sadistic plan is.

"She wants Julia because she needs closure, she needs answers as to why everything went wrong three years ago. But she needs Peter first; he's her only hope in getting to Julia. That's what I needed to tell you; you have to get yourself and your friends out of here. Keep Peter and Julia as far away from Henley as you can," he says, pleading with me. "You may think you have a chance to win today, but you don't; Will has too many powers and Henley's even more powerful now than you can remember. You have to get out," he says.

"But...but what about everyone else? The refugees from your society? Our citizens? Our families? We can't just leave them at Henley's mercy," I say, everything happening so quickly that I can't keep up.

"You're no good to your families dead, because that's exactly what's going to happen to you if you stay here," the boy says, talking to me as if I have no choice.

"Where would we go? The woods are burnt to a crisp, we can't go back to your society, and you say staying here is futile. We're out of options," I tell him.

The boy turns his head away as he fumbles for something in his pocket, pulling out a wrinkled piece of paper.

A map.

"Under this city, you'll find a series of underground bunkers long since forgotten and way before Henley's time. It's the only safe place for you all to go and figure out what to do next," he tells me, pushing the piece of paper into the palm of my hand.

My head starts to swarm with the thoughts of being on the run once again and hiding once again. I'm so tired of it, so sick of it all.

"It's your only chance, Cassia," the boy presses me.

I look up at him, wondering what kind of person he is that can fight for Henley while trying to save the rest of us.

"And why should I believe you? For all I know, this bunker is a trap that would lead us to our doom," I bring up.

And for the third time today in a moment so out of place, he laughs once again. "If I wanted to kill you, I would've done it by now to make things a lot quicker and simpler. Besides, you don't see anyone else trying to help you, now do you? I was only put on Will and Henley's police force because I was forced into it. That doesn't mean I support them," he says.

I begin to take in how close he is, his face a mere inches from mine so his whispers would not be overheard by anyone. Close enough to make me feel uncomfortable, but at the same time, a bit drawn in.

"I...still don't trust you," I say.

He smiles, the corners of his eyes crinkling and revealing to me that he actually smiles more than he lets on.

"You will in time. Now go, you don't have time to lose!" He says, lightly pushing me away by my shoulder.

Before I turn to leave, I find myself wondering one last thing. "What's your name?" I ask him.

He rolls his eyes, like I've asked the dumbest thing at the worst time, which I suppose I might have.

"My name is Cade. Now go!" He orders me.

This time I obey, sprinting away from him to find everyone else. However, I feel regret, because the sentence I was going to tell him next still hangs on my lips, not having been said.

I'm Cassia, but you already knew that.