5. First I love you ❤

Narrator's POV

He woke to the sounds of the youngest Prentiss screaming out for her mother as she tossed and turned in her sleep. Knowing that her mind had taken her back to the horrors of the day before he was immediately at her side, trying gently to wake her from the first of what he's certain to be many nightmares.

When she did finally open her eyes his heart broke at the sight of her tears, watching her eyes frantically search the room for her mother whom she soon realized was still resting in the bed beside her "You're safe here" Hotch spoke softly, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Though yesterday was the first time she'd met the man beside her in person, she instantly felt safe in his presence. She felt safe knowing that he was someone her mother trusted to protect her, and she gratefully appreciated the fact that he stayed with her even after ensuring that she was properly looked after by the medical staff. "Would you like to talk about it?" He questioned her once she was able to get her breathing back to normal "I've learned that talking about the things that bother you helps"

"I just want to forget," She told him, wiping away her tears as they fell "But when I close my eyes I'm back in that room, watching him hurt my mom all over again" She explained "And it's all my fault"

"That's not true" Said Hotch "Aubrey nothing that happened yesterday is in any way your fault"

"If I hadn't come home early Johnathan would still be here" She spoke of the agent who lost his life trying to protect her "Mom would have never gotten hurt" She continued

"The only person to blame here is the man that hurt them. I know from experience that blaming yourself is easy, but sweetheart you did nothing wrong" He assured her, taking a seat beside her on the bed to wipe away the last of her tears "I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you'll be okay, and so will your mom"

"You love her don't you?" Aubrey questioned "I mean, why else would you give up a weekend with your son to sit around a depressing hospital with me who I'm sure isn't great company"

"I don't think I've ever loved a woman as much as I love your mom, but that has nothing to do with why I stayed with you. I happen to like your company" He told her with a smile, bumping her shoulder with his "We've only known each other for a few months now, but I can't imagine what I'd do if something were to happen to you."

"Really?" She questioned

"Yes really. I liked you from our very first conversation via Skype, even though it was more like an interrogation on your part" He teased

"Well, I'm glad I didn't give you too much of a hard time. You're pretty cool" She smiled

"You're not so bad yourself" He replied "Try and get some rest, I'll be right here" He assured her, carefully tucking her in before reclaiming his spot on the couch. Aaron was pleasantly surprised that the teenager easily fell into a seemingly peaceful slumber and stayed that way for the remainder of the morning

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"She really likes you" He smiled, hearing the voice of his love who woke to the sight of him protectively watching over her little girl. Though she was unconscious the female profiler was able to hear bits and pieces of his and Aubrey's conversation earlier, and it pleasantly surprised her that her daughter chose to open up to him. "I didn't expect that"

"I don't know if I should feel flattered or insulted by that" He replied, turning his attention to Emily who tried sitting up in bed "Careful sweetheart, you'll hurt yourself" He warned, getting up to give her a hand "You feel okay?" He questioned, brushing her dark locks from her face

"I feel numb" She replied honestly, knowing once the medication wears off she'll most likely be painful and sore

"You scared me yesterday" He confessed, caressing her cheek "I watched you die in the back of that ambulance and that was the most terrifying thing I've ever witnessed" He confessed

"I'm so sorry" She cried "I wanted to come to you so bad, but he threatened her life. I know what kind of man Doyle is, I couldn't risk it" She explained, hoping he'd be able to understand "And I'm so sorry I didn't tell you about him sooner"

"Hey, you have nothing to apologize for" He assured her "I understand that the case involving Doyle was classified, and I know that if the situation were different you would have come to me, to the team for help, but you couldn't. I hate that you ran off on your own, but I know I'd do the same for my son in a heartbeat. I can't fault you for protecting your little girl. I'm just happy that you're both safe" He told her, before pecking her lips "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you" He stated, wiping away the tears that rolled down her cheek

"Ditto" Emily replied with a smile "Thank you for not leaving her alone"

"You would have done the same if it were Jack lying there in that bed" Said Hotch "Yesterday taught me a lot, It took almost losing you to make me realize just how much I love you" He told her for the very first time "I knew I loved you from the start, but I didn't realize the  depth of that love until yesterday." He explained "I'm not the best at communicating my feelings, and you've never pushed me; I love that. I love the fact that even though you've built up this tough exterior your very sensitive"

"Am not" Emily interrupted

"Are too, and let me finish. I love that you challenge me, I love that you're about as stubborn as I am" At that she rolled her eyes "I love the way you roll your eyes when you're annoyed, the way you bite your nails when you're nervous. I love that you have a playful side, that you brought out mine and I love your willingness to do anything to protect the ones you love. Truth is there isn't a thing about you that I don't absolutely love and I promise you that as long as I'm around both you and Aubrey will be safe"

"Aaron-" She began, but he immediately cut her off

"You don't have to say anything if you're not ready to. I just couldn't waste another moment not telling you how I feel" He told her, taking her hand in his. He's well aware that expressing deep feelings isn't something that comes easy for Emily, something else they've got in common, so he hadn't expected a reply, but she'd surprised them both when the words easily fell from her lips

"Can I talk now?" Asked Emily

"Go ahead" Hotch Encouraged

"I love you too" She smiled as he leaned in, capturing her lips with his. Both completely unaware of their unexpected visitor that stood in the doorway watching the scene unfold

To be continued..........................................................