Chapter 6: The Horrors of War

3rd Person POV

Near the North gate of the city, in the streets of Italica, the invading forces had slowly marched their way in, unit bu unit, slaughtering anyone and everyone who dared to be in their line of sight in the cruelest of ways. The Doom Slayer, marching his way towards them, began to hear their chanting as they marched in his direction.

Invader: With every life we take, we will be one step closer to salvation!

Army: Hoorah!

Invader: Offer your souls to destiny, in the name of the dark lord, Emroy-.

Hearing the last phrase, the Doom Slayer stopped himself short of being in their field of view. His eyes widened, he no longer saw a burning, corpse infested city under attack, but a blood filled, corpse infested, brimstone landscape that was Hell itself. His eyes twitching in rage, as he no longer saw the invading forces as human, but as the monstrous demons they've become. His mind was split between dimensions.

Olivia: My sisters and brothers, be thankful

Olivia: My sisters and brothers, be thankful. You will be the first. You will have a seat alongside them just as I will in what will become the new world they create for us. Starting now.

But in reality, the Doom Slayer had sprinted towards the invaders head on. Charging behind one of them as he gave a speech, the Doom Slayer lunged at him as he raised his arms.

Invader: Death to them a-GAH!

The Doom Slayer's blade impailed through the man's neck, causing him to gag and gasp for air. As the man's blood leaked out, the Marine pulled up on his blade, slicing the man's skull in half. The invaders were horrified and disgusted as the Marine pushed away their leader's corpse towards them, letting the blood flow towards them like a river. Their shock would turn into anger as the group unsheathed their swords and raised them, yelling out some chant before they charged.

As they charged at the Doom Slayer, he equipped one of his newest weapons, the Ballista. Holding the trigger, a molten metal stake began to take form as the strings were being pulled. Kicking away the first invader to reach him, the Doom Slayer let go of the trigger and dashed back. The stake was launched out from the Ballista at about the same speed as a bullet. Piercing the air, the stake went through a few skulls before stopping inside the flesh of an invader with metal armor. Screaming in pain, the man attempted to pull out the stake lodged inside his eye, only for it to brighten before exploding in the middle of the group.

*BOOM!*

As the stake exploded, a mixture of broken metal, blood, and guts flew everywhere as the good portion of the group were in pieces. Those who survived screamed out in pain as their limbs were no more. The few who miraculously were unscathed retreated back towards the gate, expecting backup to take care of the colosseus that was the Doom Slayer.

Switching to the Heavy Assault Rifle, the Doom Slayer marched forward, wiping away the blood and guts on him and crushing the skulls of those who had survived the attack, but hadn't ran away. As he reached the North gate, he noticed the wooden doors to the outside were broken, but not destroyed. The citizens of Italica hid behind a makeshift barrier, crying in fear as a man nearly his size stood in front of the gate, resembling a knight, with other invaders standing behind him like a posse. A bloody mace in one hand and a wooden shield in the other, the man laughed out loud as he pulled a civilian's bloody head off of his mace.