Chapter Four

The next morning, Cassandra was surprised when Amelia entered her chamber to tell her that she had visitors. Her shock only increased upon learning that these visitors were Lord Southerby and Lord Hawthorne.

She dressed quickly, in a pretty lilac dress that was fancier than the ones she usually wore as she was entertaining guests.

"Ask one of the footmen to call Nathaniel, please, Amelia." Cassandra requested, as the entire staff had finally arrived. It would not be entirely appropriate for Cassandra to sit with them alone.

"Of course, milady." Amelia said with a quick curtsy before rushing to find a footman. They did not keep a butler, so Cassandra was not announced before she entered the front parlour, stopping immediately outside to catch her breath after she'd hurried downstairs.

When she entered the room, the Lords Southerby and Hawthorne were standing face to face, with some hostility between them. It was clear that they were already familiar with each other and had arrived together. It appeared that they had just argued over some matter.

"Good morning." Cassandra greeted, and Lord Southerby jumped in surprise before turning to face her, while Lord Hawthorne was able to collect himself.

"Good morning, Lady Cassandra." Lord Southerby greeted, stepping forward to kiss her hand, whereas his companion only nodded his acknowledgement in light of there limited acquaintance. Cassandra felt her cheeks pinken as Lord Southerby pressed his lips to the back of her hand, his fingers wrapping around hers gently.

Cassandra took her seat on the nearest settee, while her visitors remained standing, as was customary.

"What brings you here, if you do not mind my asking?" Cassandra asked, genuinely curious. They were the last people she'd expected to visit her, especially the taciturn Lord Hawthorne, who was a man of few words and who had not appeared to be very interested in her the night before.

"Christopher— Lord Hawthorne, I mean— and I found ourselves walking in the park. Having been......acquainted for very long, we found ourselves in conversation and learned that we have a mutual connection in you and your brother, milady."

Cassandra could tell that they had known each other a while, judging from how they had been looking at each other when she'd first entered the room.

However, from the hostility in Lord Hawthorne's gaze and the look on his face when Lord Southerby had mentioned their long acquaintanceship, it seemed to Cassandra that this was a relation he did not want to maintain. There was some bad blood between the two. She garnered that it must be Lord Southerby's fault, for Lord Hawthorne appeared rather bitter about the business. She did not understand how, though, as Lord Southerby had proven to be a decent gentleman in the three years she'd known him and she did not take him for the sort who could do anything too terrible.

Before Cassandra could reply to his statement, the door opened and Nate entered the room, his clothing slightly dishevelled from sleep and his lips bearing a polite smile, one he put on for the benefit of visitors. He held out his arms in greeting before saying, "Lord Hawthorne, George, it is a pleasant surprise to see you here this morning."

"Duke." Lord Hawthorne said with a slight nod of acknowledgement, choosing not to greet him any other way as 'Your Grace's was far too formal and the usage of Nate's Christian name implied an intimacy between the two that did not exist. Cassandra had not known Lord Southerby's name before as either her brother had not mentioned it or she'd merely forgotten. It was a simple name, yet it suited a man such as him.

"Likewise, Nathaniel." Lord Southerby replied, glancing towards Lord Hawthorne with a smug expression upon his face that Cassandra did not understand. It was as if Lord Southerby was winning some unspoken competition between the two of them. What this competition was, she was unsure whether she truly wanted to know. Men were odd creatures and she doubted she'd ever understand them or their intentions.