:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 5

"Sorry I'm late," I said, walking into the principal's office. "This school is too big and no one would give me directions."

My uncle looked up from his desk and smiled. "That's alright, you don't have a class first period anyway."

I nodded, taking a seat on the chair across from him. I brought my hands onto my lap, and stared at him expectantly. He pulled open one of the desk drawers and fished around in it for a moment before pulling out a big black binder. He placed it on the desk and turned back to me.

"Here's your planner," he said, sliding it over to me. "The teacher who was supposed to take this art class already planned out the year's course work with everything required, but you can feel free to change it up if you want. The requirements are in there as well."

I opened the black binder, and scanned the first week of the planner. A bunch of foods were listed; some of which I had never heard of. I looked back up at my uncle with a sheepish look.

"Uh... what do I do if I don't know how to make something?"

"Look it up and learn it," my uncle responded simply. "That should be obvious."

I sighed lightly. There would be a lot of cooking ahead of me. But I liked cooking, so it couldn't be that bad. I looked down at today's class schedule. A frown appeared on my face when I noticed I only had one class.

"Uncle Rob, why do I only have one class?"

"Hmm?" he responded, looking over the desk at the planner. "Oh, the juniors are on a field trip, and the sophomores have a class meeting the period you have them. Lucky you."

"So what? My sixth period class is freshmen?"

My uncle laughed. "No, freshmen can't take home economics. Your last class is seniors."

"Seniors?" I cried, my eyes widening. "But uncle Rob! I'm not even a senior! If I was in high school right now I'd be a junior!"

"Actually, Harley, you're an adult who isn't in high school."

"But-"

"They won't know you are young than them," my uncle cut me off, sighing. "Trust me, it'll be fine."

I pouted. "If I don't have a class until the end of the day, how come I had to come in early?"

"Don't you want to explore the school?"

Flashbacks of what happened this morning returned to me and I gave my uncle a wry smile. "Not really... It's a bit dangerous."

My uncle looked at me curiously. "What do you mean?"

"This morning I ran into four people having a fight."

To my surprise, my uncle didn't look worried at all. He just sighed heavily, shaking his head.

"No matter how many times I tell the students not to have fights, there's always at least three a day."

"Wait, so this happens a lot?" I asked, my eyes widening.

"Harley, it's a school full of delinquents, what do you think?"

"But what if they attack me?"

"They won't, you're a teacher who could expel them," my uncle explained, a smile slipping onto his face. "Once you have their respect, you won't lose it."

"Oh," I responded, feeling relieved. "Okay."

What happened this morning was only because they didn't know I'm a teacher? I almost laughed. I should have just said I was a teacher! Why didn't I think of that? I shook my head, a smile slipping onto my face.