09.

so can you tell me what will you do
when everything you know turns right around on you.

self-destruct personality falling in reverse

-

"I still don't know if I should be mad or thankful," I tell Michael as we walk up the front steps of his house. It is almost 1pm and the driveway leading to Michael's home is empty until our arrival. The street is quiet since all of the obnoxious kids from the neighbourhood are either playing shitty video games or are annoying their parents. Either way, after dragging Michael out of the bakery, we decide to hang out at his place and that's how we end up in his driveway. Clearly, I put an end to the argument before it could escalate.

"I mean, you almost started a fight."

The house is silent, but not for long as the two of us never know how to not make noise while hanging out. Since nobody is home, we immediately head for the kitchen as we didn't get an opportunity to have anything at the bakery (a big thank you to my fellow college friends).

"Was I convincing, though?" He asks, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

I decide to sit down on the black countertop while Michael looks for something to drink.

"Very," I nod. "Can I smoke here or will your mum get mad?"

The younger guy shrugs before pulling open the fridge. He sticks his head inside.

"Just open the window or something," he states.

I sigh and slowly slide off of the sleek countertop, my feet touching the cold tiles on the floor before I reach over the sink and push open the window. There is a soft breeze outside that makes the huge tree in Michael's back garden sway delicately from left to right. However, the sun is still splitting rocks and I have no intention of sitting outside.

"Is this a fucking joke?" Michael suddenly swears. I immediately tilt my head to look at him, expecting to see something horrific, but Michael is still entirely focused on the contents of the fridge. "Not even a single beer. No, just Capri Suns."

I roll my eyes at his childish outburst.

"Stop complaining and give me one. I'm driving anyway," I laugh and shake my head at the utter frustration on my best friend's face. Nothing can come between Michael and beer since he turned eighteen.

He glances at me with narrowed eyes and just stares for a couple of seconds. I look at him expectantly, waiting for him to say something, but all he does is glare at me as if what I have just said hurt his feelings.

"I don't think you understand, Skylar. There is no beer," he repeats, slower than before.

"I know, I heard you the first time."

Michael hands me a shining silver juice packet and proceeds to shut the fridge. I watch with both of my eyebrows raised as he angrily punctuates the plastic with an orange straw and places it between his lips.

"I am talking about the consequences of this," he begins his explanation which I know will be absolutely pointless. He pauses for a brief moment, trying to gather his thoughts before finally beginning again. "Like, what if this giant tornado was to kill us in... Say fifteen minutes? I would never get another opportunity to have a beer."

I shake my head at his reasoning.

"Yeah, but neither would hundreds of other people so stop complaining," I answer before lighting the end of my cigarette. I take a drag, the dark and suffocating smoke slowly drifting towards the window.