Twenty-two

A soft continuous rattling on my bed stand made my eyes flutter slowly. My hand reached out for the device causing such racket. Brushing a palm across my eyes, I adjusted to the light as I unlocked my phone. I had two missed calls from Nathan. Frowning, I noticed that it was past noon already. I had slept past five in the morning. But my drawing was finished as well as the letter.

My eyes turned to the folded pages over my desk.

My phone started to buzz once again and I slid my finger across the screen to answer. "Nate?" my voice was raspy and I flushed embarrassed from answering with my sleepy voice.

"Were you asleep?" he asked incredulously.

I closed my eyes as I snuggled on my blankets, "I stayed up until five." I stifled a yawn.

"Why?" instant worry clouded his tone, "are you okay?"

A small grin formed on my face. "Why do you keep asking me that?" my grin was wide now. "I was up drawing."

He chuckled. "I'm your boyfriend. It's my job to worry over you." I bit my lip as butterflies fluttered in my stomach. "Anyway, I'll let you get back to sleep beautiful."

My eyes snapped open. I sat up, "No! Give me half an hour and I'll be ready!"

Nate chuckled, "I'll give you two hours because I'm feeling like doing some exercise, okay? And you can dose off again."

Pouting, I let myself fall into the bed again, "Fine. Enjoy your exercise, muffin-top." I smirked.

"Tsk. I think I prefer Rivers, babe," My heart fluttered at his endearment. "I'll see you in a bit," he added before hanging up.

A warm feeling ran through me as I placed the phone back on the bed stand. I sighed contented but I wasn't sleepy anymore. Excited at seeing my boyfriend soon, I stood up and made my bed. I washed my face and brushed my teeth before walking downstairs. I grimaced at my reflection because my eyes were all blotchy.

Dad had left a note on the counter, he was running some errands with Marie, but they would be back in time for dinner. I rummaged through the fridge until I found a cucumber and an apple. I placed two cucumber slices on my eyes as I ate the apple back at my room.

After a while, I took off the cucumber and walked to my desk. My hand trembled as I touched the papers as if they were a precious treasure.

Because they were.

I'd poured everything I'd felt over the last few years in them. My eyes brimmed with tears as I read the letter I had written last night.

Dear Mom,

I wish you were here so I could tell you this in person. So I could hold your hand and look at your eyes and tell you how much I love you. How much I need you.