Twenty-three

I brushed a strand of hair off my face as the wind picked up. It was getting colder but it brought a smile on my face. As a kid, I always cherished the first snow. Even though, by the end of winter I complained endlessly about it. However, there was something magical about the first time it snowed; the way the small white snowflakes dainty floated from the sky and they landed subtly over you. When I was child, Mom always made hot cocoa that night and she would let me play around the yard until my nose was red and my hands started to feel numb. It was great. I would totally do the same this year. Even the cocoa. With Nathan, of course.

School was quite packed, meaning that I'd walked later than usual. Hitching my backpack over my shoulder, I walked faster through the hallways to my locker. People were talking excitedly as I passed them. From the corner of my eye, I saw Tom and Sean snickering and shoving roughly. My pace fastened.

Nate was leaned on my locker as he checked something on his phone. He had a red hoodie over his jeans and a grey knitted beanie.

My lips tugged up instantly. "Hey handsome." His eyes looked up, an instant grin forming on his face.

Pulling himself up, he kissed me chastely on the lips. "Now, that's more like it, Taylor." I rolled my eyes playfully before opening my locker's door and reaching out for my books. "Are you ready to rock out on Math?"

Scrunching my nose, I shrugged, "Yeah?"

He chuckled, "We're going to have to work on it, babe. But I'll help you and you know I ace that class."

"You're so modest, Nate," I murmured sarcastically.

"But you love me that way," he whispered by my ear. Quite smugly, I might add.

Smiling, I grabbed his hoodie and pulled him to me. I kissed him lightly as a smile played on his lips. "Don't be so smug about it."

"But I am!" he exclaimed happily with open arms, making people turn our way.

I shoved him with my math book, "come on geek, let's go to Math."

As we walked towards our class, hand in hand, his thumb brushed one of my scars. "Have you noticed that you've stopped rubbing them?" he asked gazing at me.

Surprise showed on my face. "I hadn't." His grey eyes bored into me for a moment before he lifted my hand and kissed my scar. A warm feeling ran through me.

The teacher passed next to us, meaning that it was time to get to class. I waved at Anne as we walked beside her to get to our seats. A frown set on my face as I started to take out my pencil and notebook. Where had Farah been over the weekend? She'd been pestering me to no end for my date and I had completely forgotten to call her to tell her about it. Yet, the girl was persistent. That had never been an impediment for her.