Chapter 2

Light flickered and danced over my closed eyelids, creating a soft smile as I became aware and recognized the fluttering of candlelight. No doubt I fell asleep on Devon's grave again and woke up to the light of the dancing flame. The candle I bought was still burning bright it seemed.

Burning. Flames.

The house consumed by flames and devouring everything in it as I was dragged away, struggling to break free from my kidnapper.

I bolted upright with a loud gasp, memories of the night before flooding my brain and dizziness assaulting my senses from moving so quickly. The nausea was nothing compared to the sickening wave that clenched my gut as I realized that my kidnapper was successful.

My stomach tilted and turned awkwardly, bile rising to my throat and goosebumps forming on my skin as I scrambled to get to my feet. Frantically pushing myself up, I felt the coolness of the floor against my bare feet and barely registered the overall sensation of feeling cold before I pushed myself off the floor and on my feet.

Only to slam right back against the cold slab of concrete, groaning under my breath as I blinked. The collision was rather painful, as I couldn't move my hands to prevent my face from bashing in the unforgiving stone. I ran my tongue over my teeth as I pressed my cheek against the floor. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes again, having closed them during my fall.

The stale scent of an old and barely lived in house slapped in my face along with the moldy scent of expired and rotting fruits and vegetables. I could even hear a few flies buzzing about, making me curl my nose up in disgust; who wanted to live in such filthy conditions?

I sneezed loudly when the inch thick coating of dust tickled my nose to the point I had to scratch it...Only to realize my hands were bound behind my back. I felt the panic swell up inside me as I tried to shuffle my feet and realized they too had been tied down.

Looking down and between my legs, I let out a horrified cry as nothing but bare skin greeted me. My hands and ankles were chained together and firmly attached to a pole driven in the concrete. Even if I wanted to escape, I wouldn't be able to do so.

My breaths panted through my mouth, thanking the gods that the chains of my arms were at least long enough to allow me to lean forwards. I was able to cover my privates, but anyone walking around me would certainly get an eyeful.

"Don't freak out! Don't freak out!" I chanted under my breath, knowing that if I slipped of the edge of hysteria, nothing but my brother would be able to get me back up. And Devon wasn't anywhere near me.

A soft sob escaped me as the seriousness of the situation truly sank in, causing my legs to wobble beyond my control and shivers dancing over my body as I breathed in and out slowly, trying to stay calm.

A door opened in the distance, jumpstarting my heart as my eyes widened in fear. My breathing quickly broke out into near hysterical pants as I tried in vain to look around in the room. The only light in the room was that of a dying candle, its flame slowly fluttering as it consumed the last of its fuels and clung to live.

I held my breath as I heard footsteps approaching the room I was in. The thumps of my heartbeat sounded deafening in my ears as the feet approached my room and pass it, leaving me to sag in relief and sigh.

I blinked and stared at the shadows created by the candlelight as I thought of ways to get out of here. Surely my parents would find out I was missing and call the police. Right? They would search for me; I had to stay strong.

A sudden idea popped in my mind but before I could think about it, I was startled as one of the shadows seemed to move against the light. Instead of following the dance of the candle, it slowly crawled up to the light until it was resting just below the candle and the face leaning above it.